Opened a bottle of AV

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ChemErik, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

This past weekend, I was doing some early Christmas shopping at Wally World and figured I'd stop and smell the AV, since I hadn't had a bottle for over a decade and I've read so much controversy over AV on this forum. If it smelled at least as good (mediocre) as I remembered I'd throw down the $3 for a bottle and see how it performed.

While, when I open the bottle it made my eyes water and I think I nearly passed out. I don't care how it feels on my face, it stinks! Sign me up for the AVCL. I'm thinking I'll be forced to order some TSD signature splash as repentance for even smelling the blue death.

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

hehehe

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Right on! Welcome to the AVCL!

4. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

:eek:. A good Doctor should be able to restore your sense of smell:happy102.

Come over to the blue side:transport024.

5. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

My condolences to the women in your life. ;)

6. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Reminds me of antifreeze.

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I tried to like the stuff but couldnt do it. Feels good going on but thats about it. The scent never goes away either.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I try to go away for a day or two at a time, but invariably, I return to that wonderfully revitalizing ice blue nectar! Long live the Velva!!

:happy096

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I try to go away for a year or two at a time, but invariably, I return to that ice blue bug and tar remover...and remember why it's been so long since I opened the bottle of that wretched stuff. The only thing I know of that's worse is Pinaud.

10. apswartz

apswartz New Member

:happy102

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I didn't know the blue death killed bugs too. We may have a reason to buy AV.

12. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

While I am rather new, here, I wish to weigh in with a few observations about Aqua Velva:

I have noticed that those on this board who are anti-AV are rather vocal and rather imaginative in their criticism and derision. In spite of that, when you look at the poll statistics , http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2217, you'll see that it is 57 to 20 for. So the pro-AV crowd outnumbers the antis by almost 3 to 1.

That also makes sense when you consider how LONG Aqua Velva has been around. It's been around for 79 years now. 79 YEARS!!! That even predates Old Spice by almost a decade. And it's sold all over the world. Businesses just don't stay in business that long, with that kind of volume, being sold all over the world, if a LOT of people didn't love it.

And I love it. I had never used it before a month ago. I love the cooling feeling as I put it on, I love how it tones my skin, and I really do like the smell.

Besides, as Pete Rose said, "a man wants to feel like a man." ;)

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Remind me again why you're a mod.........:think002

14. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Yes, and they are still bottling that original batch 79 years later! :happy102

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yeah! So :p

16. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

17. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Product Details:
    Firms & tones. Experience the cool, fresh feeling of Ice Blue, the classic American fragrance you trust. Firms and tones skin for a face that's fit. There's something about an Aqua Velva man.

Ingredients:
    SD Alcohol 40-B, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext. Violet 2, Blue 1.

Product Description:
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue Cooling After Shave, Classic 3.5 fl. oz.

Warnings:
    Flammable until dry. Do not apply near fire, flame or heat. Avoid storing above 100 degrees F.

18. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

This doesn't prove anything at all. Any alcohol based aftershave is flammable until all of the alcohol evaporates.

19. apswartz

apswartz New Member

20. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member