Opened up my Gilette Slim Yesterday - WOW!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by excalibur5, Apr 12, 2011.

1. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Well after 4 months, I finally got the nerve to open my Gilette Slim Adjustable to 8. I used a Gilette 7'oclock Yellow with it.

All I could say was WOW! I didn't really care for this razor initially, as I only received marginal shaves with it, so I put it aside for a couple months. I continued learning to handle my first razor (Merkur 23C - which I love by the way). After consistently getting great shaves, I decided to branch out again, and picked up the Slim.

I guess I am now ready for more aggressive razors, and am thinking of picking up a Merkur Slant (37C). Anyone else have any recommendations?

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

G yellows are getting VERY popular with many faces!...:happy102

ST

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No recommendations, but you've hit on something many new folks should know - if a product doesn't work for you now, don't toss it. Set it aside for a few months and come back to it later. More than one person has discovered that what didn't work then works now.

4. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Other than my cranked up Slim or Fatboy, another delightfully aggressive razor is my Gem Push Buttom with SE Ted Pella blades.

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I recently also rediscovered the Slim after putting it aside for awhile. I have really enjoyed the shaves with a Derby blade.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think you'll like the slant. It isn't as bad as you've heard but it will bite you if you let it. It is more different than it is aggressive. I was pleasantly surprised :)

7. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I just discovered the same last week. My Fatboy and Slim were not getting much playing time lately, and I was about to phase out my Derbys too. Not any more. I was using setting 7. I just cranked up to 8 with a Supermax and had a super duper shave. My setting range just went a ratchet higher. I must have outgrown setting 7, and found new high performing razors when set on 8.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Good aggressive razors? I'd go for a NEW or New Improved Vintage Gillette. The New Improved went under many different names depending on the finish, knurling pattern, etc. But, they'll all shave just about the same - which IMHO is extremely well.

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

+1 on the New. I get consistent BBS's when paired with a Crystal blade.

10. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I just got a Slim and a Fatboy today from eBay. I had bought a Fatboy last week from a Forum member and have shaved with it once. I started out on 5, didn't feel aggressive enough, went to 7, a little too much, finished up on 6 and like Goldilocks said...Just Right! BBS!

I had forgot that I had put in a snipe on eBay on the two I received today, otherwise after buying the Fatboy I got last week, I would've cancelled my snipe. Both the Slim and Fatboy are in really good shape and I got them at a good price. I think I may actually like the Slim better because it has a little longer handle. I'll find out in the morning!:D

From what I've read, it seems that different adjustables shave different on the same settings. I'll see if there's a difference in the ones I have tomorrow.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've not noticed any differences from one Slim to another and one Fatboy to another. Or in any of the black handle adjustables, short or long handle, either. The only one I've noticed that is different than all of the rest is the Toggle. Gillette's quality control was pretty darn good during the adjustable era. It's Merkur who has a bad problem with, for example, a Progress on 5 not being the same as another Progress on 5. This is why so many people want and get the Mergress - the fine tuned and customized Progress by Mer.

12. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I tried to open mine up to seven yesterday and got some burn so Im back down to a five, I thought I might be missing something but alas, the only thing I missing is a layer of face.