Opened up the Fat Boy to 9

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoahG, Jun 5, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

So I went most of last week without shaving, due to a combination of a few bad bumps and a general malaise brought on by worry about my mom. I almost got out the Parker 22R since I know that it can take down a week's worth of growth like it's nothing, but it kinda sucks for finish work. Instead I decided to see what 9 was like on the Fat Boy. I have to say that I have a whole new level of respect for this razor now. It knocked down the stubble easily with a WTG pass at 9, then down to 5 for another WTG pass and finally a finish pass at 1. It did this all with no blood and little irritation for a CCS. I could have gotten closer, but I was pleased with the shave, so I stopped before things got rough. I think I'm getting to like this razor as much as my long handled Merkur Progress. I have a second Fat Boy that I'll try to trade for a Slim or Long Super Adjustable once I finally finish cleaning and polishing it as it's in great shape and I want whoever gets it to get a beauty.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is great. I hope everything ends up well. Also the fatboys are wonderful. never tried one myself. However I do have a slim and might take you up on that trade if you are ever interested. All the ones that I found on the ebay when i was looking needed plating badly or were nib for way too much money.

3. 5t8t2u

5t8t2u Member

I find it disappointing when people talk about setting adjustable razors at one setting and never changing it. There is so much capability available with the adjustments; I'm pleased to see you sharing an example of getting out of the razor more of what Gillette built into it. 6 is about as high as I can go with my Slim, but I do use 2-6 regularly, depending on blade, time since last shave, etc.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

That's why I love my adjustables so much. Normally now I do a 3 pass shave, with the third pass mostly a touch up on the razor's lowest setting: 7/5/1 for the Schick injector, 5/3/1 for the Fat Boy & 2.5/2 or 1.5/1 on the Long Progress. I plan on acquiring all the adjustables at some point, but the Short Progress and Short Super Adjustable will be more to fill in the collection, then again, I may love them.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Glad to hear the adjustables are treating you so well. I like to switch settings between passes as well. However, there are times when I crank it back up to max after my 3rd pass to catch all those pesky trouble spots after I went ATG on a milder setting.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No need to be disappointed. All my adjustables are locked at one setting. I did play and adjust to find my perfect setting for each, and there they'll stay.

Be happy for those of us who are getting great shave regardless of the setting!

BTW, Noah :happy088:happy088

7. hockeyguy

hockeyguy New Member

Hello - I recieved a e-4 fatboy yesterday from my little brother. I used it for the first time this morning. I set the dial on 3. It was a pretty close shave with no problems at all. I have to admit that I was kind of reluctant to use such a old razor. Definetly now over that fear !

8. NoahG

NoahG Member

The Fat Boy is definitely a good razor, otherwise it would not be so popular. I used to find it too short, as I like longer handles, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

9. NoahG

NoahG Member

Throw in a bottle of the Green Aqua Velva Sport and we may have the makings of a deal.

10. jcwit

jcwit Member

Somewhere in this house I've lived in my whole life is my Fat Boy, it was my first ever razor and went with me for my hitch in the Army. For some unknown reason I switched to the plastic throwaways, now at 67 I'm finally returning to shaving as it was ment to be, and now guess what, there's a Fat Boy stored away and it not calling loud enough for me to find.

Oh well, in only a month I've acquired a number of razors, one from a member here and some from flea mkts and antique shops. Most are good shavers and some are excellent, if I only could find my Fat Boy. I watch the Bay and boy do they bring some numbers there.

11. Grumpy_Bottom

Grumpy_Bottom New Member

I found my Fatboy on 9 with a nice Feather, Lab Prep, or *drool* Platinum Plus is my most comfortable shave combo, glad you gave it a whirl. My slim shaves me better on 7 for some reason, but the Fatboy really knocks down the stubble on 9 beautifully, and I end up with far less irritation than I do on lower/milder settings or with milder razors. I pretty much decided that my face (and most importantly, neck) need aggressive and sharp to get good shaves without a zillion passes. The exception is the slant, I just don't think I'm quite "there" with the slant, as I do get some hefty irritation with my shaves, even though the quality of the shave itself is phenomenal. Now that you're on 9, finding the blade that really cuts it down is the next step!