Opinions needed on a rotten razor.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I rolled the dice, on this one, hoping the rust was just light. It isn't. It looks deep to me, and the blade may, or may not be able to be saved.
    The big question is: Are the scales salvageable?? Or, are they the cause of the rust? They are made from a blue/green, semi transparent acrylic type of material. The scales look to be in great shape, but just a little dirty. soap and water will clean them up, and they will be like new again. I rubbed the scales vigorously, and no odors were detected, except dirty razor smell. No Camphor smell, like I've smelled on Celluloid scales.
    Keep the scales?? Try to rescue the blade?? Toss it all to be on the safe side??

Razor- Dixie. Blue Steel. Too much rust to read any more.

P8041102.JPG
    P8041103.JPG

Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I would toss it. There are too many good razors out there to bother with this one.

Karl G and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

On the other hand, you have nothing to lose working on that blade. Try it and, if it doesn't work out, toss it.

Karl G, Yehuda D and DaltonGang like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I need a Tetanus shot just looking at these pix... Sorry Bro...

5. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

If you keep it. Keep it away from your other razors. I woundn't chance those scales being the cause of the rest with your other razors.

6. DaltonGang

My wife made the same comment. I was thinking it too.

No guts, no glory. :happy036:

Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  7. DaltonGang

The edge was so rusted, it crumbled, with the slightest touch of my thumbnail. Yikers!!!!!!

The old saying: "You can't make a silk purse, out of a sows ear", keeps playing in my head.

Karl G, Yehuda D and Jim99 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Maybe the scales might be salvageable. Worth a try....

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'm 50/50 on this one.

Karl G and Yehuda D like this.
  10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I would toss it .Not worth putting the rest of the collection at risk.

Karl G likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

When I see rust so pervasive on both blade and scales - and little financial investment has been made - I move on to another less-distressed razor, of which there are many.

Yes, the scales may be salvageable, but unless they have some intrinsic value: a company logo or model emblem, bolsters, inlay, etc; I'd rather spend my time on another.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hone it and put it on eBay as Shave ready, extremely rare, and start bidding at $19.99. See what happens :D
    Or toss it.....

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The blade is beyond repair. To get enough metal high enough on that heel to take an edge would result in shot geometry for the razor. The scales may have something to do with the steel breaking down, the rust pattern on the back side is suspicious (cell rot) but could just be as a result of the razor having been stored wet. At the end of the day, they're just not special enough to warrant a full court press to save them.

Acrylic scale blanks are dirt cheap. If you want some cool acrylic scales, it's better to simply fashion a new pair and let this razor go. It's trouble.

Spyder, Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

No, but you can make a sandwich.
    IMG_1736.JPG

Mr. Oldschool, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I think I'd rather eat the rusty scales....:sick007:

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It doesn't look like there's much hope for that razor. I'd get rid of it.

17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The scales are the cause of that rust,

You want the long explanation of why ??? or do you trust my opinion :)

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both...:D:D:D

Agree that neither blade nor scales are redeemable.

19. DaltonGang

Yes.
    I do trust your opinion, but I like to tinker. . I will do a test on the scales to definitively see if they are celluloid. I will scrape a very small portion of the inner section of the scales. Then take the shavings and see if a small flame will ignite the shavings, in an accelerated manner. Plastic will melt and eventually catch fire. Celluloid will ignite rapidly, like gasoline(Petrol for you folks across the pond).

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

LOL

Okay

The recipes for the old Celluloid varied quite a bit, many actually had different names too
    Unfortunately for us this means the there simply are no set rules for detecting Off-Gassing or Cellrot so we have to use clues..

For me the dead giveaway clue is the pattern of the rust, and the type of rust, it even tells me that it is the backside scale that started the process decay first..