Opinions needed on a rotten razor.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 4, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Whenever I see a broad coating of rust covering the tang and around a pivot pin, I'll check the blade for that usually well-defined rust pattern that follows the scale edge. When this is present, it's a no-go. :rolleyes005:

Spyder, Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

A very good clue

But again because of the many different recipes, it is not an absolute :(

If it burns like Gasoline it is for sure a type of celluloid, I have seen some so flammable that a Sanding Belt can ignite them, others however are pretty stable...

Celluloid et al is simply a devious ^%^$!!!! (many Cuss words)

Oh yeah I found this too

"Celluloid was one of the first plastics to be widely used in making jewelry. Celluloid was originally developed in England in the 1850s but first commercialized in 1868 by John Wesley Hyatt, whose company eventually became the American Celluloid and Chemical Manufacturing Company-- subsequently the Celanese Corporation. Jewelry made of celluloid dates to about 1900 and was quite popular during the Art Deco period. Celluloid has characteristics which are different from other plastics. Celluloid items tend to be thinner and lighter than Bakelite, and it is definitely more brittle and can crack when heated to higher temperatures. Some celluloid pieces can even be flammable, and while more brittle than Bakelite it can still be bent or twisted. Under hot water, most celluloid has a smell like vinegar or old camphor. Celluloid jewelry can be damaged by moisture, temperature extremes, or chemicals. Celluloid that has been stored in a closed environment for long periods can also dull quite dramatically and even crack."

There is quite a bit of cool reading out there on the Vintage Plastics

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Spyder, Karl G, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I do agree with you, on all counts, but several things make me not think celluloid. But, make me think plastic or an Acrylic type of material. This don't look like Celluloid. I own many Celluloid scaled razors. This doesn't smell like Celluloid when rubbed vigorously. There are no signs of the inner portion of the scales breaking down.
    I've saved some Celluloid scales, from a rotted out Beau Brummel razor. I took scrapings from both scales and put a flame to them both. The Confirmed Celluloid scale scrapings went up in flames quickly, not so for the Dixie scales. So Far, So Good.

I knocked some rust off the blade, and washed the scales with some warm soapy water. No polish on the scales.

Dixie Blue Steel
    Dixie Mfg Co. ??? City GA. (The Rust ate away the city it was Manufactured)
    Dixie 2b.JPG

Dixie 2a.JPG

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have an old Dixie Blade around here someplace that looks about the same

There is the real test for you, Just set that razor as it sits in a baggie and wait, see if the Rust starts again in the same place, that is a sure test also

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've already done that. I ground the bad portion of the edge down, which wasn't too bad, just a little deeper than the original bevel. The steel was pretty clean, just below the bevel. All the possible questions surrounding this razor has me thinking. It's better to "Err of the side of caution". So I sanded it a little more, oiled the blade, and put it in an old razor box. I labeled it and will set it aside, checking on it periodically for rust.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Spyder, gssixgun and Karl G like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Dixie Manufacturing was located in Union City, GA. A small town in the Atlanta metro area.

DaltonGang, Spyder and gssixgun like this.