Option Five DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Has anyone heard of this? I got a message from them today wanting me to buy it at a discount and it looks amazing

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I know @Darkbulb and @clint64 both ordered one. The general consensus among those who have tried it is that it's a well built efficient razor. The most cited negative is the handle can be a bit slippery.

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Any idea why it's called "Option Five"? I wonder what the first four options were.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, if they're not being offered anymore, they must not have been good options.

RetLEO-07 and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  5. cmorris357

If I understood correctly, the head of the company said something about there being 5 options in shaving. I assumed was talking about choice of brush, soap, blade, razor, and aftershave. But I may be completely off the mark.

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Thanks guys. I really wanna pull the trigger. I already assumed Darkbulb got one, he always has cool razors

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It's a very modern looking razor. It is on the heavy side. I don't find it aggressive but it is very efficient. I enjoy using mine. However I'm not sure what material it is made of. For what I paid , I'm sure it will last long enough. I plan to take it on my motorcycle trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cmorris357

I don't have one, but it's my understanding that it's made of nickel alloy. Supposed to be the best compromise between price and rust resistance.

clint64 likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's my understanding of the material as well.

I got mine for under $60 shipped and at that price it exceeds my expectations. I am not sure what they cost now and just didn't want someone disappointed. There is a pretty big thread on Against the Grain on the razor with more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's 12 pages of reviews and photos of it here by a number of people:
    http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/option-five-de-razor.4017/

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I own the Option Five Razor and I was actually surprised on how well it shaves. The design is either love or hate. Has a look between a Merkur Futur and the Bevel razor. It's not a mild de, nor aggressive. Somewhere maybe like a 2 or a 2.5 on a Futur. Very efficient and contrary to what you think, comfy in the hands and will not slip when wet or soap in the fingers. The metal has a sort of tactile grippyness to it. Super easy to load and unload a blade, simple push button about a half inch under the base/bottom plate. It works quite well. It's not the prettiest razor out there, but it gets the job done. I'll try to post a pic or two....

clint64 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of it. Not the best, but you get the idea.....

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG

clint64 likes this.
  13. hairball

hairball New Member

its a zamak material, a version with nickel in it that allows for better casting than the version used by muhle or EJ or merkur.

Don't drop them is the best way for longevity.