Order to try blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TeachMe, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

I am moving closer toward beginning to shave with a DE. My prep, lathering, and learning my beard growth are all improving. I've got some Bic metals to use in transition (once I think I have the above ingredients down pat) and now I am looking at getting a blade sampler. I have a 5 pack of Derby's on hand, but I am curious if there is any type of recommended progression of sampling blades. I know that blades will have different experiences in different razors and on different faces, but is there any overall consensus on try X, then try Y, etc or am I over-thinking this?

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Most people will say to just work your way thru them. One thing I recommend is not trying the feathers or Gillette platinums (Swedes) until later in the game. They tend to be pretty sharp and can lead to some nasty shaves if you don't have your technique down first.

3. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

There was a line of thought that said something like:

Merkur-->Israeli/Derby-->Gillette-->Feather

I know I've seen it documented in Leisureguy's book, but it was also around on the boards. That's certainly in line w/ Tracy's suggestion to try Gillettes & Feathers later. Then, if you had others, you'd throw them into the mix wherever (wherever meaning, "I haven't ever seen a "codified" order that included other blades than these).

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Another thing to remember is to not to give up on a blade if it performs badly when you first start. I had written feathers off and then once my technique was down pat I went back to them and they are my go to blade.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The vendor sites have a recommended sampling order. Honestly, except for waiting on Feathers, "Swedes", and Silver Stars until you've tried a few others I don't think it matters. My only added advice is to start with one blade and use it until you've had a solid week of consistant and decent shaves. Then start trying the others. This will give you enough technique to notice differences between the blades. 80% of blades don't have major differences to me, just subtle ones.

A good starting blade will be one that is "middle of the road" in agressiveness, and it may be better to try to match the razor (mild razor + agressive blade or agressive razor + mild blade). The Crystal blades would be my "general" recommendation for a starting blade as I don't think you'll get a terrible shave in any razor.

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

My first blades were Gillette swedes and the Feathers :D
    All blades are sharp and the few nicks and cuts i got in the beginning, i would have gotten no matter what blade i used.
    First concentrate on learning the proper DE technique using one brand of blades,
    then order a sample pack and make up your mind about witch are best for you.
    The Feathers might be a tad sharper than most blades, but it's not like they're insanely sharp in comparison.
    The Swedes in my opinion so far, are the best out there, but they're expensive. Anyway, i'd rather have a really sharp blade than one that's a little dull.

7. TeachMe

TeachMe New Member

I'll have to take a look in Gourmet Shaving--I've started into it, but haven't gotten to that section yet. Thanks for the tips.

8. Hi there,

Try the Crystal (IP), Derby, or Red Personna blades, in no particular order. They all have strong followings, and are known to be on the forgiving side.

Hope that helps,
    Martin

9. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Derby is a good blade to start with along with IP's and AP's (American Personna). Try some sample packs from Razor & Brush, West Coast Shaving and the TSD Store has a fine blade selection. Wait awhile before trying Feathers. Good luck and happy shaving!

10. mezz524

mezz524 New Member

Derby, dorco301, bic, all great blades
    no pulling just smooth
    i recommend connaught shaving paul is a great guy to deal with and he has a great selection of blades. shipping from the the uk is very reasonable

mick

11. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Great advice!