Old Spice AS India original formula

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Geo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Active Member

hiya guys,

After reading about the debate about OS AS and the supposedly difference in formulas of the P&G formula and the original I decided I would buy the Inda version as the general census seems to indicate that is more true to the OS of yesterday. So it is on order and we will see.

Cost more than I would care to spend 18 bucks with the shipping but I doubt I will have to reoder anytime soon so eh.

The main reason I bought it was stictly for nostalgia. My grandpa used to wear the stuff every sunday before church so that smell brings back many warm memories.

The sent to me, is a lil old manish grandpa like and dated but I guess thats kinda the beauty of it. I can't say it is my favorite smell but it deff is not horrible smell as in I will wear it occasionaly.

I know for a fact it is much stronger and will linger with you all day as opposed to my Nivea Splash and Proraso AS. But thats cool to

What I am really currious to find out is what peoples opinion will be of it. Like my family and friends and of course the most wise and knowlegeable people at the local drinking establishment I attend to once in awhile. :)

2. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

I going to have to look into getting a bottle made from India. I just ordered a tube of old spice shaving cream off of Ebay from over seas. It's at the post office waiting for me.

Ijustmissedthe50s and JRod22 like this.
  3. Geo

Geo Active Member

i never new OS made shaving creme untill a few weeks ago. Did you buy stuff like vinatge stuff?

4. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

Don't know the whole story but the company in India still makes everything to the shulton standard. I picked it up from Ebay for $6 for a 70ml tube, west coast shaving has it also Iam about to buy some more soon.

I tried the cream out today, still learning on how to lather with creams, I used to much. It lathered up nicely and easily. I just started using old spice products but it has a but more spicey smell than the aftershave I bought recently from Walmart. They make three scents, original which is what I have, musk, and lime.

I will try to post some pictures soon.

Yehuda D and JRod22 like this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I've seen this the OS SC and India AS on one of the shaving store sites before. I read a review that said the India version bottles you get are super tiny. I like the regular OS AS I picked up from the Walgreens near my house. My buddy also likes it a lot too. Though it's not my go to I wear it when I want to smell nice. My gf told me she loves that smell of OS but has never mentioned anything when I wear it :( :happy097:. Would like to hear what you have to say about the foreign version vs. the american version.

6. Geo

Geo Active Member

Yes the OS AS from India is smaller like 4oz around there. I ordered it and I also picked up some OS AS from Walgreens Iam going to do my own testing to see if I can notice any difference when my order comes in. If I can't tell a difference I will just get it from Walgreens because with shipping it is like 18 bucks for the stuff from India. Too rich for my blood.

On a side note, i just picked up OS deodorant the orginal classic green stuff that used to come in a round tube. Good stuff looks and smells like the stuff I remember only diff is it is in a modern twist deodorant can like all the others

Paul Turner and JRod22 like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Okay all you OS gurus out there, here's my question. I have a smidge of Old Spice(India) left in my WCS sampler. In pretty much every drug store I've been in, I see Canadian OS. Never having used the original(my Dad was an Aqua Velva guy), which one comes the closest to the original?
    I may go for it, I may not.

8. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

I have used the OS from India and while it smells different than the stuff found on the shelves here, it's still not the same as the original. I worked for a company that had a few Indian employees that often traveled to India and I'd have them pick me up a bottle each time they went. The bottles are glass (thankfully) and the scent was a bit more on the floral side but definitely not quite the original scent. Still, for those that admire OS I would recommend getting your hands on some of the Indian stuff and trying it for yourselves.

Yehuda D, jtspartan and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I think the closest to the original scent is the deodorant. At least my pits smell like OS.

Yehuda D likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'll take your word for it. :taunt002:

Yehuda D and BigMark83 like this.
  11. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

I bought my dad OS for Father's Day as a kid (he was an Aramis man) and the Indian stuff smells a lot like the older stuff did, but perhaps softer and more floral (perhaps it's just my memory). I have the fortune of being able to buy shaving supplies in India in person so I pay local prices there. IMO it's a great aftershave. I have a bottle my dad bought and used a little of in the years before he passed away. He left it at our home in Mumbai. I use it very sparingly.

Dad shaved with a DE for years before going to cartridges. He though my wet shaving fascination was a little quirky, but was supportive and brought me brushes, creams and sticks back from Austria (where he lived for the last decade of his life) a few times. I used one of the brushes today--a cheap Chinese boar packaged for sale in Europe. The varnish is cracking on the wood handle and it sheds hair fairly regularly, but i's a great brush otherwise!

12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The present day OS from P+G is an insult to the brand. It smells awful compared to the original Shulton version. Whereas I would wear the original one with pleasure I have to force myself to use the P +G monstrosity. The aftershave, cologne, and deodorant are IMHO, lousy.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

AS you've been seeing from my posts on the matter, one word turned me away from "New Spice"...and that word is Smellmittment. Who would have thought that such a classic world-renowned men's hygiene company could go down to THAT????????

Yehuda D likes this.
  14. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I wish I knew.

15. Paul Turner

Having made my beef, I'm closing in on deciding to order Stirling Spice (AS and Soap)....I trust Doc Ezlovan's description of it-it's essentially a Shulton clone.

16. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Let us know what you think of it. When you get the chance.

My father used to have a 3 aftershave rotation.

Skin Bracer
    Brute
    Old Spice

As a kid I would splash them on and around the holiday season. I would gift him what ever he was low on in that rotation.

After a while I noticed dad didn't use old spice anymore? He mentioned that it didn't smell the same as it used to. Not sure when old spice changed up. But I think he told me that back in the 80s.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Oh, I certainly will. I'll probably make the order next month sometime(although I suppose the earlier in the month-holiday orders and all).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017