Oristo Stainless Steel Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Monkey, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

"The Unboxing"

My Oristo Sheen arrived today!

I really, really like the looks of this razor. And I do like the presentation. I'm not sure why there isn't more excitement about this razor. It's beautifully crafted, and certainly does look like it will deliver a comfortable shave.

It will likely be a week or so before I actually try it, as I have some other razors lined up I want to shave with first- but looking forward to it!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdmsu, RaZorBurn123, preidy and 4 others like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Can you please show us the blade in the head so we all get an idea of how much blade exposure and blade alignment.

Shave Monkey likes this.
  3. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics with a blade. As you can see, a very little overhang on the sides. To me, it's almost identical to the Black Mamba with respect to the blade loading and exposure - and that's a great thing IMO!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX, SpeedyPC and 2 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ok, basically a Black Mamba clone, well pretty much exact, for almost double the price of the Black Mamba. Ok a different handle design while the Black Mamba has a handle made by Ikon. Oristo going for $200.00 - $250.00.
    link for prices..... http://www.stashedandfound.com/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

This might be in CAD currency. If that's correct, then the $200 CAD is around $147 USD. Someone correct if this is wrong.

Carbide Mike and clint64 like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The prices are CAD so you are correct.

Carbide Mike and nvpliers like this.
  7. jimjo1031

Still it's a good amount for a head design which is a copy of the Black Mamba. You usually see copies costing less than the original, not more.. Only difference is in the coatings and still the Black Mamba does cost less, $120.00 - $130.00 compared to $147.00 - $185.00. Of course not saying it's a bad razor, just does cost a lot for a copy.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

Definitely not disagreeing with you on cost. Just wanted to make sure we're all talking the same currency. Not sure what I'll do. In the least, I'd want to view more reviews. It's nice that we have many good choices.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am not so sure it is a copy. These could be the same folks that made the BM and this could be Version 2.0. They were on the right path with the kick starter price of around $100 USD. It will be interesting to see how well it does in the market.

10. jimjo1031

It's not exact as to how they go together, but they have the same head profile and design.

herbert7890 and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It is a exact copy according to Joe at Italian Barber.

clint64 and Demidog like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I hope it is a copy, and they make a million dollars selling it.

If Joe actually PRODUCED any of his rabid craze inducing razors instead of letting them fade out into the sunset and become unobtanium, perhaps I would feel differently.

13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Yeah, I can see how you feel like that. It's a cut throat niche, Send him a email and let him know. Maybe he will start getting more out there.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    herbert7890 likes this.
  14. rplunk43

rplunk43 New Member

Copy, not a copy......I just want to hear about the test drive.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

15. jimjo1031

Only reviews I have seen (B&B, SN) mentions it shaves just like the Black Mamba, pretty decent reviews.

Carbide Mike and herbert7890 like this.
  16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I used to feel the same way, and I got into a discussion about that with Joe on another forum. He's made it very clear that the razor designs are his way of keeping the business fun for him, which is why he only does limited quantities and then moves on to the next design. He makes very little in the way of profit on these if you take into account the development time and prototyping, and he's made it clear he has no desire to.

After having the frank discussion with him, I conceded that it was his time, his material, and his business/hobby, so he's free to do whatever he chooses.

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have seen the same discussions multiple times on multiple boards, and you are correct. It is his time, money and free will. That said he has been content to sit back and watch people tear each others throats out, and sink to the lowest common denominator trying to get one, when all he would have to do is pick up the phone, call his machinist, and order another 200 when they can be worked in. All the legwork is finished. And whatever he speaks to forum members, it is pretty undeniable that every one of his releases will create a mob riot because everyone is worried about getting one before he hands down his decision from the mountain that no more will be made. He can claim that he makes little to no money on these razors, but from a larger perspective it just enhances his brand. If it really were the case, up your margin and see what the market will bear. You would think that $50 Baby Smooths selling for a 300% markup would be a clue that he has some room to move, price wise.

I have had my Razorock razors, I am not sour graping about availability, and generally speaking I don't have any issue with his business. He sells decent products at decent prices, and for most people is decent to deal with. But I don't care for his practices about selling his razor designs one little bit.

I apologize for ranting off topic, and will say no more to take it further off the rails.

18. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

do they have online store or was KS only project?

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. jimjo1031

Canadian dollars, approximately $150.00 - $185.00 US......
    http://www.stashedandfound.com/

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

I would love to know how it shaves. I also tend to avoid buying from a razor company during their first year in business so they can work out any manufacturing issues, etc. before I invest my money.