Oristo Stainless Steel Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Monkey, Dec 27, 2016.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great looking razor!!

2. RaZorBurn123

It sounds like it's made by the same people who made the BM, new and improved. Towards the end of the video.

3. RaZorBurn123

Judging by the design and video id say it's a winner. At $152.00. USD it's a lot cheaper than the RR BM on the open market.

Boojum1 and Asafiev like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very sleek looking design. I hope it's a good shaver for you!

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Good point.

Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

This is the first that I've read about this razor. I would normally wait for a company to fix any problems. However, this looks like a BM, and from the reviews, its from the same company that made the BM. That being said, I would assume its a safe bet that any issues have been worked out. They were probably worked out during the production of the BM. I am starting to regret joining a year long sabbatical. BMs seem to get great reviews but are difficult to obtain. Maybe a trade is in order. :)

7. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

You make some great points. So now I have to hear how it shaves. I am an ATT M1 / AS-D2 kinda guy. I wonder if they increased the blade gap, etc.

RaZorBurn123 and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

Also looking for some shave reviews before committing dollars.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

Well, those aren't terrible razors to be stuck with. ;)

PickledNorthern and Asafiev like this.
  10. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

First save with with the Oristo Sheen:

I can pretty much sum this up one way.....if you like the Black Mamba and/or you have sensitive skin and enjoy a mild and comfortable shave, then you will want to buy an Oristo (I'm actually thinking about getting a backup!).

Today's shave was with Proraso Green Cream, the Oristo Sheen and a Personna Red blade (on its second shave). I had 3 days growth to mow down. I used some Proraso Green preshave, then lathered up. The first pass was WTG and my first thought was: smooooth. The razor just glides with seemed zero friction. There was still a decent amount of stubble after the first pass, but about what I was expecting knowing this is a mild razor. The second pass was XTG. I feel I could have done some touch ups and stopped for a DFS, but as I only shave a few times a week, I'm a 3 pass shaver. The third and final pass was ATG and left me with a close BBS shave with no irritation. This razor is a new favorite of my modern razors, and right up there with my Timeless OC .68, and the Hone 15 (not counting my beloved B&R Adjustable, as it's adjustable and therefore incomparable).

I can't see anyone regretting this razor unless you really like aggressive shaves with a lot of blade feel. But even if you do, this would make a great addition for your rotation to use on days you want a quick shave and might have a light beard or otherwise irritated skin. For me personally, 2016 brought some amazing new razors. Let's see what 2017 brings us!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great write up, thanks!

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great write up, thank you.

RaZorBurn123 and Shave Monkey like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

Outstanding!! I'm very happy for you.

Shave Monkey likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

The Oristo Sheen has become my must have/buy razor of 2017! Thank you for the review and info.

Shave Monkey likes this.
  15. Shave Monkey

No problem! I hope you like it!

16. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

I hate to do this to you... If you had to choose between the Oristo or Hone Type 15 which one would it be?

Shave Monkey likes this.
  17. Shave Monkey

Ha ha! Wow, that too is a tough one, but I'd say the Oristo might edge it out overall. Basically due to the smoothness factor and maneuverability/balance/weight. It's been a while since I shaved with the Hone but I still think it's not quite as efficient as the Oristo. Honestly though, for a nice mild shave and factoring looks and durability, Hone 15, Timeless.68 and Oristo are neck and neck. I could see a 3 way tie if we were to poll 100 users of all 3, really. As they say, YMMV.

I love the Hone 15 but wish it was a tad lighter. It's a beast. The Hone has some great cool factors though: Looks, grippy handle (don't let the looks fool you), all brass which ages with a nice patina, and also delivers a mild shave.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Asafiev likes this.
  18. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Well, I went to go buy one (normal stainless) and they are out of stock... Bah!

19. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Just ordered a Stealth Oristo. Thanks for enabling me everyone. :)

Shave Monkey likes this.
  20. Shave Monkey

Great!....let us know your thoughts on it!

clint64 likes this.