Other artisan and commercial soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Yehuda D, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Guys, let's face it. I've become addicted to Stirling soaps. Never in my entire life have I come across such top-quality products. However, there are many, and I repeat MANY other excellent soaps and creams out there, both artisan and commercial which I think the world of and to this day, I would and do very strongly and highly recommend them. :)

Artisan soaps in order of my preference:

1) TSD--Our JoAnna is a lovely young lady and has worked long and hard to create some awesome stuff.

2) Obsessive Soap Perfectionist--James Riley in London, UK is another genius. His stuff is wonderful.

3) Krampert's--Brian has only two soaps, Bay Rum and Frostbite which I LOVE.

4) Mickey Lee Soapworks--I've only used one soap of theirs, but I think the world of it.

5) Calani--A German artisan whose soaps can rival a LOT of high-end soaps. Not to be overlooked.

6) Razorock--Excellent budget stuff coming in many scents.

7) Henri et Victoria--Calisse de tabarnak! (mild Quebecois expression) Great stuff!

8) First Canadian--Brian Hoffman is the creator of some magnificent soaps.

Now for some commercial soaps in order of my preference:

1) Golddachs Spezial--An awesome, but sort of pricey German soap.

2) Klar Kabinett-- Fantastic. Made in Germany.

3) Tabac--A gold-medal winner, in my opinion.

4) Arko--Cheap and wonderful. Turkish delight.

5) Speick stick--The Speick stick is a little jewel.

6) Palmolive stick--This stick will always have a place in my rotation. I love it.

7) Proraso Green and White--Readily available here in Canada. Great soaps, both of them.

8) Cella--Super-duper and in my opinion, very classy.

There are plenty of others in both categories which I can't think of right now off the top of my head!

targa88, jtspartan, Demidog and 9 others like this.
  2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I love stirling and think they make the BEST menthol soaps on the market.

I personally have tiki, mikes natural, and mickey lee ahead of stirling but not by much.

I have like 12 stirling soaps so i definitely love their stuff.

Spyder and Yehuda D like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Right on, Jeff.

Stirling is mighty fine indeed. I only have two: Scots Pine Sheep and Electric Sheep. Both are excellent performers. It is amazing how little soap is needed for a two-pass shave.

With the exception of commercial soap number one, I agree 100%, and perhaps that same order. I have not heard of or used Golddachs Spezial

4. Yehuda D

My friend, Golddachs Spezial is an extremely elegant and classy soap. Its quality is to me anyway, definitely one of the highest of the high-end commercial soaps. Unfortunately for most of wetshavers living in Canada it's difficult to find here - only one store I know here sells it and 25,00$ is way out of my league. That's why I use this stuff perhaps once or twice a year.

I recently acquired the Electric Sheep because of Corinne buying me another bunch of Stirling soaps as a birthday gift and I LOVE it. I wonder how the Scot's Pine Sheep would compare to it?

Thanks for your compliment about my thread! :)

theFAT98 and Spyder like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The performance is the same, of course. The Scots Pine smells nothing like pine, to me. Mostly what I smell is spearmint. Shall I send you a sample?

6. Yehuda D

No, my brother. But I do appreciate the offer!

My friend and my father-in-law think the Electric Sheep smells like Williams. I said to my father-in-law "Aba, (Daddy in Hebrew) not at all!" I told my friend he was nuts! lollll

Spyder likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Can't argue with your list at all! I do love Stirling soaps. I have a few;)
    My favorite is Tabac, for performance and for the scent that is nostalgic for me, for the time I lived in Germany in the 70's.

Yehuda D likes this.
  8. Yehuda D

Genau. Die Tabac ist eine spitzenklasse Seife!

George X likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Route 66 and Catie's Bubbles!

10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Saponificio Varesino

PannaCrema

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrement

Tallow & Steel

Chiseled Face

Martin de Candre

Pre de Provence

Wet Shaving Products

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

Cold River Soap Works Select & Oliva - Larry & Audrey are wonderful people and offer amazing soaps, Top Tier!

Jabonman Eufros - Miguel puts out excellent soaps and is charming to correspond with!

Mikes Naturals - Great soaps from one of the 'OG's' of artisan shave soap with fantastic soap!

I like that you included the names of the makers in the OP. Brings some humanity to their efforts. Great post!

Yehuda D and Fly2High like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Route 66, excellent product. Gotta love a gal who asks what we would like, then delivers.
    Top notch.
    Soap Commander, great product as well.
    Reef Point, i only have one, but its very nice.

Salty Belle and Yehuda D like this.