Our Turkeys

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jayaruh, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    We have a bunch of turkeys that come around our neighborhood. We have a big field behind our house and they usually wander around out there. I have seen as many as nine at one time. Today, they were wandering through our neighborhood.

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Being from the southern half of New Jersey, we have turkey vultures. These things grow up to about 2 to 3 feet high and have been known to fly off with cats and small dogs. Yikes! upload_2017-4-22_20-28-7.png

3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    A bird only a mother could love.

RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Look at the beard on that TOM!!!
    I spent a lot of time trying to track one of those down and you have the walk up. grrrrrr. thanks for the video.

Jayaruh and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    They are fun to watch. I talk to them. In the video, I muted my talking to them. My wife doesn't like it when I talk to the turkeys. I also talk to (bark at) dogs. She doesn't like that either.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Keep away from the dog treats....

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We have a turkey population here on Staten Island. Although there are wooded areas here, they have made there home in a more urban area, near a hospital. Driving in that area, I have had to stop to let them cross the road.

Jayaruh and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My good buddy lives on a small farm, the Turkeys he has are huge and mean. If you turn your back to them they will attack.
    Taste great though. :eatdrink020:

Jayaruh and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    My dad raised all kinds of fowl: chickens, ducks, guinea, quail, peacock, and turkeys. The turkeys can get aggressive. Maybe it is territorial. I was easily chased off.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

We've got them in our area too. The dog(who has no sense) wants a piece of them every time he sees 'em.

11. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I've seen turkeys in urban areas where I live. Seen them up close in Cambridge, MA near MIT and Harvard Square. There was a group of hens (six) near the U.S. Dept. of Transportation building in Kendall Square, Cambridge. A Homeland Security Policeman told me they had gotten aggressive with some folks who got to close while taking their pictures. Looking at the talons they have I keep a safe distance.

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

So, you're always the one that people can depend on to talk turkey?

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We encountered one, crossing the street, near the car dealership, this week.

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Why did the turkey cross the road? :scared007:

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I took my landlady to the eye doctor, off Mopac, a few months ago, and saw one wandering around the business park. It let me get within 15 feet or so, but that's as close as I was gonna get to it. It acted like it owned the place.

16. richgem

Boy, the cast of Jersey Shore really hasn't aged well. :happy068:

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am part turkey and part dog.

18. richgem

So... you're your own best friend's dinner? /head_scratch

(Spaceballs: The Movie reference)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    wchnu likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Turkeys in suburbia....Flocks move through our area and not uncommon to see them roaming the streets— tipping garbage cans, soaping windows, making graffiti—the usual gang of suspects who run a-fowl of the law...

ff62087e759255ac1ffac5e70e8ca915.jpg

wchnu and richgem like this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To get in our way, when we wanted to do it.