Overthinking a minor repair

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by goodmoodmike, Oct 3, 2014.

1. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

So I've received this Adjustable razor and have learned from others that it is fixable. The safety bar appears to be up on one side, but I am not sure which part I should adjust and how to specially address this. I've done some googling and most of the info I found was on bending the bar up, not down as in my case. [​IMG][​IMG]

Any specific photos videos or directions would be greatly appreciated. I do not at this time wish to send to a certain repair place because of mishandling of razors, getting sent back the wrong razor etc.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I had a Slim that had the same issue not as bad though. I sent it to Razor Emporium there tune up service is $20. They fixed it perfectly, repainted the numbers and cleaned and polished it. It came back 10 days after I sent in looking like new. Wish I took a before picture didn't expect it to come back looking so much better than what I sent in.

image.jpg

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Ouch. Poor Fatboy.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It looks to me like the base plate is bent to one side. @Bowler Mike has a great suggestion. With that little brassing you may want to go with a replate also.

5. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

I know right, such a shame. My 1959 fatboy E2 is in near excellent condition, so I picked this one up in hopes of a user grade, needless to say some work needs to be done. Hasn't been cleaned yet though

6. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

I've heard very good things and very shady things about razor emporium so I'm not sure I'll send It to them. Maybe a tech or a super speed, but not quite sure about a fatboy.

7. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

When Matt got rid of his business partner, the shady stuff stopped, he's working now to do everything in house.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

You may want to just clean it first, which may get the junk out out of it. Soak it in some Dawn and hot water to see if that helps. I would not try to force the doors open or closed or the adjuster, put try to gently work everything. Good luck.

SRNewb likes this.
  9. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

The razor is completely functional but I will be cleaning it, it's soaking at the moment before I decide to either fix it myself or trust a vendor.

10. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

Hi, I had this issue recently with a slim model. It is very doubtful that the comb or baseplate is bent, rather than the tabs that come off of the the center guide, which are a lot more easily bent. A quick site down the comb to check for straightness and to see that it is perpendicular to the handle. If both ate fine, it will be an issue with the center guide or the tabs. You may be able to bend it back, or at least you'll have a better idea of what is wrong and whether you might be able to fix it. Hope it works out.