Palmolive shave sticks.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Someone help me out.

Are the current production Palmolive shave sticks like Williams or Burma Shave? Williams is still more or less the same soap. I know it has changed some but it is more or less the same. Burma Shave soap just took the name of an older product as the original was a brushless cream.

I am just wondering if the newer palmolive sticks are true to the original or a modern product that took a old name.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not sure what you call original, but if the Palmolive stick changed since the 1980s, it didn't change much.

Before that time I don't know; I didn't shave then yet.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That what I am wondering. If they started making them in the earlyish 1900's what were they like then?

You filled in the gap back to the 80,s. Thank you!

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe someone on the German Gut-rasiert forum knows?

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I also wonder how long they have been made in Germany. I might have to do some checking.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

8. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Or ask me... the interesting bits:
    One of the sticks in thread has 'Palmolive-Binder&Ketels Hamburg' as the manufacturer.
    That was the name of the Palmolive company between 1932 and 1964.
    Palmolive was founded in 1927 as a distributor for the Binder&Ketels soap company.
    In 1932 the two merged to become Palmolive-Binder&Ketels, the name on one of the sticks.
    In 1964 the company was renamed Colgate-Palmolive.
    The exact date of the oldest stick in the thread is not known. they think it's some time around 1960.

Yehuda D and Eeyore like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you!! Your always on the spot with information!!

riverrun likes this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I can't believe I overlooked that thread. I spend at least an hour every day on Gut Rasiert as well as another hour on the Greek wetshaving forum called Men's Only. The Palmolive sticks were originally made in Germany, but it seems now the production has moved to Belgium.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The new ones are pretty nice. You want one? I have a few here in the drawer and you are more than welcome to one.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

How much would you say the new is different from the older sticks Jeff?

Oh I have a few. They are ok. I have just been trying to figure out if they are similar to the original ones.

PanChango likes this.
  13. Yehuda D

I really don't notice too much of a difference. Both are good.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for the info!!!

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Yehuda D

Before I forget, these Palmolive sticks are sold all over Europe and very cheaply. So if anyone went to Germany, UK, Sweden, Holland, etc there wouldn't be any problem finding them.

Eeyore likes this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but only the production of the creams moved to Belgium? I thought the sticks are still made in Germany?

Yehuda D likes this.
  17. Yehuda D

Oh my goodness, you're right. It is the creams which are made in Belgium. The sticks are still made in Germany. However, the Palmolive Menthol cream is only available in Italy, Greece, and in the Balkan countries.

Eeyore likes this.