Parker 29L or a Mekur 34c for a lady beginner?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RowdyAlpha, Dec 31, 2016.

1. RowdyAlpha

RowdyAlpha New Member

Hi too all, this is my 1st post. I'm just wondering what you would recommend for a beginner woman DE shaver, I don't want to scare her off with a razor that's too aggressive or feel as though she is wasting her time with a razor that's too mild. I have my eye on a parker 29l which there's not much info on or buy her a mekur 34c. I only own a muhle r41 grande which I'm also a new DE shaver of only 6 months, which i absolutely love and not interested in buying another razor for myself but can't lend her that for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome, id recomend a vintage lady Gilette starburst. My wife likes hers.
    She's also used a schick h model.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

I used a Parker 99R for awhile. It was well-made, and I liked it. Based on my experience, I think the 29L would be a fine razor for your friend. For $30 on Amazon, it's a great deal.

Carbide Mike and waffen like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would think a merkur 180. Its the one with the super long handle that's usually see in Amazon for about $20. I think they list it as merkur long handle.

Linuxguile, Primotenore and waffen like this.
  5. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

It's a good gift idea for the wife. I always try to get my wife involved in my new hobbies so she doesn't go ape when I start spending a lot of money on stuff. I don't have a Parker 29L so I can't offer advice on something I've never used, but I do own both an R41 and a 34C. So out of the two I would recommend the 34C. My wife uses mine and she really likes it. Any choice you make would be a good one.

6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

No experience with the Parker, but the Merkur 34c is well made and mild.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The 29 L was designed after the Lady Gillette, a long handle.
    The 34 c has a shorter, beefier handle.
    My bet is she would prefer the 29L.

And welcome to the Den!

8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

That depend on how tough is you're wife bare hairy legs then she might need a 34C, and IF not just soft as a feather then she need the 29L which is good enough, all you have to is rub you're bare hands on your wife legs to find out if her hairy legs are tough or soft as a feather.

[​IMG]

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with most on here and I think a Parker 29L would be a nice razor for a lady, also the Gillette Starburst, which my GF uses, that the Parker is based on. Another razor to look into would be a Schick J or K with their longer handles, if an injector is an option.

Carbide Mike, waffen and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I passed one to my Lady Friend, she likes it. Just hours ago I took a test shave with another I found at a Thrift store. I'll admit I do like vintage Gillettes.
    SOTD 12312016.gif

Carbide Mike, waffen and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Mild yet efficient, and yeah I did use my GF's Starburst a couple times.

Carbide Mike, waffen and RyX like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My fiancée prefers her lady Gillette razor over some of the others I've talked her into trying.

13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome. I purchased both razors. The Parker 29L is what my wife uses and she likes it. The handle is longer, which seems to help. The 34C was my first razor. I really liked it but gave it to one of my sons. I think the similar Merkur model with the long handle would be a great option (sorry, the model number escapes me at the moment).

Sent using Tapatalk

14. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally, I would recommend neither unless she is really shaving regularly. Many ladies skip shaves until they know they will end up in a situation where the hair will be exposed. An open comb would fit better for bigger hair removal. My recommends are Merkur 25C or Parker 26C for milder alternatives and Pearl 3 piece open comb for a more aggressive alternative.

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Agree with this one.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. RowdyAlpha

RowdyAlpha New Member

Thanks for your all your replies I'm leaning towards the parker 29l, seems to be more popular plus similar to the lady gillette but might wait a week and do some research on the mekur 180 and 25c too. Thanks again and happy new year.

lightcs1776, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.