Parker Variant question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

Hello, I have a question I know it is a chrome razor but how long do you think this razor will last I take VERY good care of my razors, I use a jewelry cleaner {machine} to clean my razors its ultra sonic Is it ok to do that?
    Please help me I am new to de shaving please any answers would be greatly appreciated please help did I buy a razor with a short life span?

Thanks for your time god bless

Tyler

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Tylervanstone

I'm sorry if my questions seem odd

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. deaficianado

deaficianado New Member

Wise choice purchasing the Variant. If you take care of it, I'm sure it'll last you for a very long long time. And cleaning it with a ultra sonic cleaner is ok.

4. Tylervanstone

Thank you so much for your help! I just want a razor that will last a few years or longer any other opinions thanks

5. Tylervanstone

can I get some more opinions?

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

As long as the plating is sound, it will last a long, long time.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

This is a '71 Gillette Super Adjustable 109. It's still humming right along.
    IMG_0244.JPG
    Your Parker Variant should do just fine(of course you could go vintage too! :))

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Tyler, welcome to the den! Your razor should last 50+ years, don't drop it, clean, store properly, you'll be able to pass that razor on down. Again welcome to the den.
    Kerry

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Tylervanstone

Thank you all so much for your kindness From the bottom of my heart thank you god bless and have a good day

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. Tylervanstone

Is it ok that I clean my razors with an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner will it hurt the razor? please this is my last question

11. PickledNorthern

Ultra sonic cleaners are mostly fine, and I use one myself, a lot. Keep in mind: They can take paint or very light plating off. Or, if the plating on a razor has a flaw, it is an opportunity for it to push water into it, and dis-bond it further.

Don't let it be your last question. Stick around a while.

RyX, DaltonGang and RetLEO-07 like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

:signs011:
    Yup, stick around @Tylervanstone, that's why we're all here!

13. Tylervanstone

so my variant should be fine with the ultra sonic cleaner? thanks

14. Tylervanstone

It wont take the finish off? my variant

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I would only use an ultra sonic cleaner if something really needed it. Just a gentle cleaning once in a while with dish soap is all it should ever need.

16. RetLEO-07

:signs011: Those ultrasonics are good for finds in the wild that are loaded with crud. On Friday(the end of my shave/work week), I bin the blade I've been using and take a toothbrush loaded with dish detergent to my razor. When I dry it off I lock and load a new blade and I'm good to go for Sunday and the start of a new shave week.

Shaver X and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    IMHO, unless you have very poor quality water, just rinsing with hot water and drying the razor off after each shave should make it last a lifetime. If you want, you can take a toothbrush to it from time to time. My favorite razors are older than I am. Just take care of them and they will take care of you.

18. PickledNorthern

I really only use the ultra-sonic for used funky razors that I am trying to clean up.

Again, does the Variant have painted numbers? Are you sure it has perfect plating, without any pinhole flaws?

Nine times out of ten you are fine. Me? I'm the guy who always ends up with the tenth one.

jimjo1031 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

Aw, c'mon Jared! Your luck can't be that bad. Or can it?
    IMG_0922.JPG

BigMark83 likes this.
  20. Tylervanstone

I am going to buy an electric tooth brush and some dawn dishsoap I plan to give it a good cleaning every week dose that sound good? please get back to me thanks