Parker Variant question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

If you clean every week, you will not need anything else than a normal worn out toothbrush and a bit of soap/dish washing liquid. An electric toothbrush is a bit of overkill and might even wear out the plating in the long run. You will not get a massive dirt buildup in just a week.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

ok I shall do that got to buy some dish soap Thanks for all the help and kind words

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Tylervanstone

Is a new toothbrush ok? I don't have a warn one Thanks this is my last question that's to all who helped me but is a new tooth brush ok? I'm new to all this so any help is welcomed

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The more you clean and take it apart, the more the plating will wear thin, especially on threading. When the Zamak metal, underneath the plating is exposed, the dreaded "Zamak Rot" will occur, fast.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Tylervanstone

So what is the recommended time for me to clean the razor? how many times a month? I take good care of my razors I wash them off and clean them with q-tips I do use a toothbrush on the head of the razor so what should I do?

6. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

The ultrasonic bath will not harm your razor ( provided you don't use aggressive chemicals). It's not really needed though for a razor you bought new. Gentle handling, no dropping on the bathroom tiles and wiping with a clean absorbent fabric after every shave will help it last forever and a day. As a matter of fact on my every TTO adjustable I use a few drops of mineral oil on all moving parts every six months or so to help things move along. It's not really needed, but I do it anyway.
    Welcome to the forum and getting the Variant was a good choice.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. Tylervanstone

Thank you I will clean my razor with a toothbrush once a week with dawn dish detergent sound like a good plan? {please give feedback}

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The most I have ever done is just a soak in dish soap for a few minutes every month. If needed, I'll use a toothbrush to clean it better. Most of the time, a good rinse under hot water is all that I'll do after a shave.

9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. When I earlier wrote about a worn out toothbrush, it was only to mention a way to reuse a toothbrush that has become too soft/worn out for teeth brushing. In that way you do not need to buy anything. Of course a new toothbrush would work too.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. Tylervanstone

Thank you so much! god bless all of you I never thought I would find such kindness! thank you all

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have a '58 and a '59 Fat Boy still looking great. After a shave I remove the the blade rinse razor under faucet and swish it in alcohol to keep soap scrum off. Still looking great.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be honest, I don't do near the cleaning your are talking about. :) I usually do a nice rinse and wipe after each shave. If I notice a little build up, I will take some foaming bubbles to it with a toothbrush. If you give up a good scrubbing every week, your should be fine. Welcome to TSD!

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  13. Tylervanstone

The part that worries me about the variant is the fact that its hollow its a real pain getting all the water out I don't want to have it rust from the inside

14. jimjo1031

It's supposed to made with all brass components, so I don't think I would worry about rust. Just my opinion.

15. Tylervanstone

I've decided I will use a toothbrush and do a light scrub after every shave I will use the ultra sonic cleaner with dawn dish soap and alcohol once every two weeks dose this sound safe for the razor? this is my last question please give me your advice I value it greatly. Thanks God Bless

16. jimjo1031

Just rinse with hot water after each shave. Maybe once a month with Dawn and toothbrush and ultra sonic if it gets cruddy, which it shouldn't. Don't over do it.

17. Tylervanstone

ok I will do the ultra sonic once a month and I will rise and wash with hot water after every shave

18. Tylervanstone

The ultra sonic only runs for 30 seconds fyi

19. Tylervanstone

I just got off the phone with my mother She's a licensed esthetician and cosmetologist she handles lots of razor - barber things she recommended once a week with the sonic cleaner ; she said a professional's instruments should always be clean

SpeedyPC and Keithmax like this.