Passing Wet-Shaving on

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PadreTex, Aug 15, 2012.

1. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

I have a plan, and I'm looking forward to it. My grandson has a toy shave kit and he loves to use it on a regular basis.
    I lost the opportunity to teach my son how to wet-shave (though I have since bought him good gear and he joyfully uses it). So here's the plan...

This Christmas when he and his mom (my daughter) are visiting us for the week, he and I are going to shave together. I told his mom to leave his kit at home and he can use one of my razors (sans blade of course). When I lather up, he can use my brush and lather up with real soap. Then I can coach about little things.

I think it will be a special time for us and it will plant wet-shaving better in his mind and heart. It will be associated with fun times with grandpa.

Thought I'd pass my idea on to those who have sons or grandsons as something that they might do to pass this on to the next generation. It will also bind the men-folk of our families together in a solid traditional way.
    [​IMG]

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That sounds like a fantastic idea! You can teach him good grooming habits and do some great bonding! My husband still talks fondly of "play shaving" with his Dad, as a kid. He had a mini-DE razor. If you have a razor that is relatively small & light, that would probaly be easy for him to handle.

3. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Very Cool! I have exposed by my kids to my shaving ritual. My daughter has even helped lather my face. My son as well, and has lathered up himself a few times. As with everything in life, I do not push an ideas further than they are willing to engage in them. It is a journey for them to embrace. So hopefully, my kids will want to follow suit. But even if they choose to use other shave methods in early life...There is a great chance they will come back to what they learned as a child.

shaving 002.JPG

macaronus, Zereoue20 and Smott like this.
  4. PadreTex

Chris, cute picture of your son. :)

ChrisC1977 likes this.
  5. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I'm sorry PadreTex but based on your avi you're not old enough to have a grandson. What gives?

6. ChrisC1977

With all due respect sir, that seems like a very personal question that Padre should not feel he has to answer. Biologically, the math ads up and everyone has children at different ages. No disrespect sir, but I would be offended if a question like this was directed at me.

7. PadreTex

No prob. I'm 50 (51 next month on the 11th, yeah, I know, 9-11) and that photo was taken of me one month ago. My eldest was borne when I was 23. Nothing particulary odd in the math or my age at marriage (22, and it's still the best thing I ever did, same gal for 28 years). Good genes I guess?

KLF likes this.
  8. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I may be mistaken, but I think bitter's intent was to pay compliment to Padre's young visage, and not to pry into personal matters. I think we can all agree that Padre is a spry-lookin' grandpa! [​IMG]

I think these traditions are great, and it's always wonderful to set aside regular time to share a moment with our children and/or grandchildren. I have two daughters under 5 years of age, so I might have to start shaving my legs so I can bond with them! EDIT: My daughters, not my legs.

Norseman, macaronus and KLF like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea PadreTex! I wish I had been "traditional" shaving when my son was little so he could have learned it more as play. However he will be shaving for real soon and I hope to pass all that I have learned and the enjoyment I have doing it on to him.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm only 21, have a girlfriend I plan on marrying, and have no plans for kids anytime soon. But When my time comes, I'll teach my son the old fashioned way and then he can go whichever way he prefers.

11. ChrisC1977

Perhaps you are right...It struck be as a bit upfront and I did not catch on to any compliment being passed along...I may have taken it the wrong way...

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

It happens to the best of us. It's hard to express things through writing to come off as sarcasm or whatnot.

13. PadreTex

If you told us you are training for a bicycle tour, then you could shave your legs with your daughters... But otherwise... eh... er....

Smott likes this.
  14. PadreTex

BTW, I don't bitter meant anything negative. I understood that.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It would also work if he takes up competitive swimming.

16. PadreTex

True! Or runway modeling, no wait... I take that one back! ;)

Smott likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Why? He just might have the legs for it. ;)

PadreTex and Smott like this.
  18. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

And on a strangely-related sidenote, my home economics teacher in middle school was Michael Phelps' mom! Yes, the Michael Phelps. Small world.

Well, I guess I'd better hurry and have a son so I can shave with him. Heaven forbid I start training for a bicycle tour.

Zereoue20 and PadreTex like this.
  19. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I dont recall shaving with my dad but I do think of him every time I catch a whiff of old spice. As for my two sons (6&8), they are fascinated with my wet shaving ritual that they dicovered last month while on vacation. Now I make extra lather and share my merkur sans blade with them. My youngest demands bayrum after shave to "smell like a man." Then he runs off to make my wife smell him. When she approves he flexes his muscles in victory. Lasting bonding memories in deed.

Hanzo, Ryan Bales and PadreTex like this.
  20. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

Padre, only recently we were only discussing getting our son (3 years old) a play shaving kit in his Christmas stocking so he can start sharing that time with me.

Great thread by the way.

Hanzo likes this.