Passing Wet-Shaving on

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PadreTex, Aug 15, 2012.

1. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Do it! Beyond the issue of wet-shaving, we need to find ways to bond with our children. They need it. We need it. And our country at large will benefit from closer bonds of affection between parents and children. Do wait... Get it done.

Zereoue20 likes this.
  2. Zereoue20

Zereoue20 Active Member

I've actually tried to get my dad into wet shaving. He says, "Bah! I just shave right of the shower. No cream or anything. " With his beard, compared to my thin facial hair, I can't see how he does that, because I sure can't.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Not neccessarily so. Girls have friends too, y'know. I'm blessed with two daughters (almost 16 & almost 18 years of age), who have no interest at all in shaving. The best friend of my eldest daughter, however, does (as his girlfriend -not my daughter- likes him to have a close shaved chin :) ). He didn't have much success at shaving, so I gave him a few hints and later on I handed him my Schick Injector, Wilkinson brush and Palmolive cream and taught him a few things. Now he's enjoying his shaves - and his girlfriend enjoys the result.

It's fun to help others to have a good shave.

So, Padre, go ahead! Excellent plan!

Smott and richgem like this.
  4. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Great picture, Padre! (and Chris!).

You should let the boy sniff he way through your soaps & creams and let him pick out which one to use. Make him part of the decision-making process. I'm sure you have this covered, but make sure he understands that he should not touch any of your razors without your ok. I'd hate to think of what might happen if he picked up a razor with a blade in it and didn't understand that it was a little different than the one he used with you.

My son is 14 and I'm starting to hear his voice change. I keep looking but there's no whiskers yet. I haven't decided yet if I'll get him a new razor or let him pick out one of my milder razors. I'll mostly likely get him started with a cream (that he'll pick out) then get him his own brush.

PadreTex likes this.
  5. PadreTex

Pat,

Thanks. That's actually a picture of my grandson, Austin. Pretty good lookin' kid I think—but I'm biased.

I whole-heartedly agree about letting my little shaver pick out the soap as well about the safety issue (I had already thought about that one to be sure).

Thinking about your son, I know that I bought my son an Edwin Jagger DE89 with the handle he liked (thankfully he chose one of the less expensive types), as well as a matching brush. Even though he was 25 when I did this, I think it has helped him enjoy it more. We guys are sort of territorial and letting him stake out some territory of his own and not something that was dad's I think is helpful. Later in life he will cherish having his old man's razors but not until he's more comfortable with himself. I suppose once he's about 35 or so! :)

6. PadreTex

It's pretty hard, if not impossible, for sons to change the way that dads to things. We just aren't built that way psychologically. But I'm sure he actually enjoys hearing how much you are enjoying your own shaving experience.

Zereoue20 likes this.
  7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Actually I was referring to your picture and the picture that Chris (ChrisC1977) posted just below yours. I wasn't trying to guess your grandson's name. ;)

Good point about picking out the razors. At that age, getting something new is more exciting then getting some old hand-me-down. The EJ DE89 might just be the one to get too. I'll definitely be considering that.

8. PadreTex

It's funny. My wife took that picture after Sunday services with my iPhone. It does pretty well and so did she. Thanks.

The EJ DE89 is a marvelous mild shaver and I have enjoyed mine a lot, although I tend to use my Merkur 1904 OC most of the time now. I have also thought that I'll probably have my grandson use a razor, sans blade, that has a bar instead of an open comb.

9. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

Padre, I'm new to wet shaving (couple of months) and my son (11) was immediatly interested. I lathered him up, gave him an old superspeed sans blade, and we shaved together. It was great fun for both of us! My wife even ran to get a picture (sorry I couldn't post it). Thank you!

Smott and PadreTex like this.
  10. PadreTex

I'm so glad that it was fun for both of you. What a wonderful connection and bond you're making! Thank you for doing that with your son. We all benefit by it!

Switchermike likes this.
  11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Amen.

Switchermike likes this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Sounds like a great thing. Just make sure you're not stealing dad's fire.

13. El-a-Menthol

El-a-Menthol New Member

That's my father's reply, word for word!
    He shaves in the shower with no lather or gel or oil and doesn't use after-shave or pre-shave products.
    The shave itself is with the Mach 3 I gave him as a present once when I was young and ignorant (well more ignorant lol).

14. El-a-Menthol

El-a-Menthol New Member

That's a great razor to start with!
    At first I had trouble reaching BBS with it for a couple of months but after my technique got drastically better,
    and my lather as well I can get total BBS with 4 very mild passes. I use sharp blades with it, like the Astra SP, Feathers, Yellow 7'OC's, etc.
    I had gone from '89 to the Muhle '41 and it forced me to step up my game or pay. Now I'm back to the '89 for good but looking for old Gillette's like the Slim.

PadreTex likes this.
  15. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I passed my DE wet shaving to both of my sons, and one of them has passed it along to my oldest grandson. I'm sure that my other son will pass it along to his son as well. (he turned one year old yesterday) , so, it will be a few years yet. When my youngest son was down last year for a Thanksgiving visit, I had the pleasure of watching my oldest grandson doing his 3rd or 4th shave. It was super!

Hanzo and PadreTex like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

One member here had an excellent idea, he bought a heirloom shaving set up for use by his young son when he would become of age. I believe it was a Simpson brush and mint President. A really great idea I have to steal.

PadreTex likes this.
  17. jacksam

jacksam New Member

Lovely photo.

18. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

It's funny, but I never showed my son how to shave until today. Most of it just came down to logistics. I get up and shave at 4 each day and am out the door before the rest of the family is even up. Unfortunately he had to learn on his own. My 21 year old son decided that he wanted to give it a go. I pulled out one of my razors and let him load in the blade. For simplicity sake he just wanted to use the canned gel that he is used to. We went over that he had to control the angle and he needed to let the razor s weight do the work. I then lathered up and began to show him about the angle that he needed to maintain. I pointed out that he should hear the blade working rather than feel it. He then got started and and began working on getting the angle down. He did his first pass and he wasn't impressed, but I explained that he had reduced the hair and that he would need to do another pass. After his second pass he was much happier with the results. He wanted to get even closer but I recommended that he call it a day and hit it again tomorrow. I explained that it may take just a bit for his face to get used to the "new" type of shaving. I walked him through the hot/cold face rinse. I showed him how to use a styptic stick just in case. He then did his aftershave and was pretty pleased with the final result. He said that he was surprised that his face wasn't all red when he was done.
    Overall the entire process went very well. Next time I will get him to make his own lather. If he gets into it, his Christmas list will be easy to fill!

Norseman and PadreTex like this.
  19. PadreTex

How could he not like it? Christmas should be fun for both of you! What a great story--thanks for telling it to us.

Falcon43 likes this.
  20. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I am looking forward to continuing to share this with him. Anytime you get to spend time with your children is great, but passing on old traditions and sharing activities is one of those pleasures that cannot be described. Of course the day may come when he curses me for this,after he catches the bug and has to pay to build his own shave den. Lol!