Pencil Thin Mustache FTW!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sirdonkeypunch, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sirdonkeypunch

sirdonkeypunch New Member

ok so i just joined, im loving the forum.

got jimmy buffet stuck in my head for OBVIOUS reasons.

now ive got a 61 gillette, yeah its more than twice as old as i am. I respect my elders ;)

so im trying to grow this pencil thin mustache, just started the initial grow phase. been trimmin the top portion of the stash the past couple days so i can better monitor the shape and all that jazz. Anyone here rocking the suave bad*ss 50's movie star look? im going for a Clark Gable myself.....wouldnt be caught dead with the John Waters. I know that the straight razor would more than likely be the way to go for this style but does anyone here use the safety razor for this? its sorta bulky but managable to a degree ive found. and its bar none the BEST razor ive ever used.

Ive made a pretty pitiful artist rendition, however once i get to 5 posts ill post it and get some feedback from ya.

thoughts? any tips on pulling off this rather masterful look?

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well if you can't do it with your DE, try a BIC single blade disposable, my buddy used to pull it off just fine.

3. sirdonkeypunch

thanks for the advice, ill have to take that into consideration, fits in my el-cheap-o price range and seems nimble enough to navigate the shape. however now that i finally got my 5 posts. Id like to introduce you guys to my impecable artist rendition (done with k-paint). Thoughts anyone?

[​IMG]

personally.... im diggin it, just hopin i can get the nice full look

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Haha :happy102

Seriously I thought you were going for thinner, but yeah man you can most definitely pull that off with a DE or the BIC. Just shave outward and away from the 'stash and bam, you're good.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

looks like that is very doable.

Fuzzy

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Agreed, looks like you could quite successfully rock it. Since I'm fresh out of two tone Ricky Ricardo jackets and autograph pictures of Andy Divine, I prefer to rock the heinous handlebar. When I get out of the shower it completely looks like the south end of a north bound sheep dog :D. A little of this stuff though and it is neatly groomed, not hanging in my mouth and sporting some thick, stiff, quite sick handlebars. Stays that way all day too.

http://www.oregonwildhair.com/

7. sirdonkeypunch

Awesome... thanks for the advice, its nice hearing good input from a veteran 'stash man to such a newb like myself

8. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Nice link! I struggle finding the Pinaud tubes around here. How do you use the tub stuff?

(Yep, handlebars. Have a little chin-action as well. :) )

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Also check out www.firehousemoustachewax.com They have info on how to apply it. I use the Wacky Tacky on my handlebar. Stuff is great!

Or you can try here http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk/waxindex.shtml Have fun!

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

To use the Oregon Wild Hair Moustache wax proceed as follows:
    1. Run a comb or brush through your stash parting it from the middle out.

2. Rest the pad of your index finger on the wax and angle your fingernail into the wax. Drag your index fingernail around the can until you have a little pile of the wax on your fingernail (the wax is several times harder than the Pinaud version, it's about like shoe polish only a tad stiffer)

3. Transfer the pile of wax on your fingernail to the pad of you index finger on the side of your stash you're grooming.

4. Rub your thumb and the pad of your index finger together until the pile of wax is spread out and softened up a little.

5. Apply wax to your stash from the pads of your fingers. Shape as desired

I used the Pinaud wax for quite a while until a friend gifted me some OWHMW. While the former was rather like putting cake frosting in your moustache the latter is far less goopy and held about 20 times better. It's not uncommon for my handlebars to still be in place after a nights sleep. I now keep the round can in my shave cave and have a traveller (those things that look like chapstick) in my desk at work for those mornings when I'm running late and forget to wax my stash (unwaxed it not only completely looks like dooky but will drive me crazy with hair hanging in my mouth.) A quick application of wax at my desk though and I'm good to go for the day.

11. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

BTW, thanks guys...I get the razor-buying fever resolved, and now I have to deal with "wax frenzy."

Why don'cha suggest some soaps while your at it?
    :happy102:

Seriously, thanks for the help.

12. Iakona

Iakona New Member

Your gillette is adjustable right? If you didn't want to go to a disposable, you can pick up 3 piece (non TTO) DE razor. That'll have a smaller head and may be easier to control.

13. heirkb

heirkb New Member

Sure! Mitchel's Wool Fat. Prairie Creations. Provence Sante. Lothantique. L'Occitane Cade. QED.
    Look at westcoastshaving.com for a lot of these. Prairie Creations and QED are on their own sites. Google Prairie Creations soaps and QED is qedusa.com.
    :D

P.S. I know you were kidding. But those soaps, especially the Prairie Creations and Lothantique are just too good to pass up. And they are also the cheapest options on that list I just gave you

14. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I'll take any advice right now, so thanks!

Right now, though, I'm trying out blades, so I'm going to be a while on the next obsession. :)

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

great thread...............

I do NOT have the patience to try for a handlebar (my stache grows straight out at cha) so I keep it closely cropped....pseudo-pencil thin
    My goat, seems to grow better and, altho I dont have any wax, I use my Murphy's pomade on it with good results.

Its a great look and you have the swagger to rock it, I believe!

Keep the thread alive with some new pix and good luck :eatdrink047

16. sirdonkeypunch

starting to get more situated in, my hair doesnt grow too fast but it has far surpassed the "cheesy 16 year old with a mustache" look and just has more of a "hobo that shaves everything cept under his nose" look. im thinking maybe before my date friday ill trim it. up to either a william power "thin man" stash look or the ol' george clooney from o' brother where out thou just a lil cleaner lookin.

i figure the chick is a keeper.... she digs the mustache thing..... plus she pretty unique to say the least. hopefully all goes well and ill let y'all know how it goes.

"I dont want FOP g**damnit, Im a dapper dan MAN!" - george clooney (o' brother where art thou)

17. sirdonkeypunch

i trimmed it up a bit, lookin good thus far, the only cam i got is my webcam and it hates light but i tried to take a pic. so far this is how the progression is goin.....

[​IMG]
    yeah i look blind in my right eye, this i know.....

oh and that chick i was supposed to take out tomorrow..... yeah already took her out like 3 times and shes totally feelin the 'stache. shes a keeper its official :D

i need to work on a better way to get the progression pics up but this was definitely a good idea. definitely a good way to look new and supa' coo' to the ladies ;)

18. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Lookin' good!:signs107

19. sirdonkeypunch

alright so were in the final stages of the Clark Gable...... i wanna know what you all think.

[​IMG]

excuse the gesture, it was at 530am and didnt sleep a wink, so had to express this frustration. Anyhow, what do you all think?

my stash doesnt come in dark at all quite yet, so ive been using a small bit of ash (im sure my skin doesnt like it lol) to darken the skin just barely, beneath the hair, and it works great, but i want to find a better alternative. the ash is very subtle and its not recognizable at all but id like to find some product that does this specifically. i dont really want to go with the mascara or whatever it is, route either and dont want to spend 12 bucks to try it, could prolly get the girlfriend to throw me some but that would be an ackward convo lol. does anyone have experience or any tips in this department?

ive also found it a lil bit difficult to navigate around the necessary parts with my gillette fatboy, the pre-shave oil i created helps a lot without gunking up the blade, but does anyone have some tips on detailing with a DE?

thanks a lot guys, youve helped so much thus far!

20. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Just for Men dye is made for beards and moustaches, it's not a hassle at all you just brush it through your stash let it sit for 5 minutes then jump in the shower. Of course I'm to grumpy of a grumpy old codger to give a hoot what color my beard and moustache is

Other than that I'd say let it grow until it touches your chin then invest in some wax but I must say you pull of the pencil thin moustache very well.