Personna blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Paulthebaker, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Paulthebaker

Paulthebaker Active Member

Not a happy camper this morning. I got a box of 100 Personna Super Stainless along with some other items the other day and tried one out in my 1964 Super Speed (not the most aggressive razor in the quiver), Poraso pre-shave, hot towel and then Jack Black cream. I wound up with more nicks than ever. The blade felt more aggressive than even a Feather in that razor. I am an Astra fan, seemingly even moreso now. I have a slim coming in the mail today so I may try the blades again, I hate to waste a box-full. I will post an update after I try the slim, but am feeling a little gun shy about these blades... (not me in the pic!)
    . how-to-heal-nicks-and-cuts-300x300.jpg

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bummer.
    My advice has always been never to buy any blade in bulk until you've tried it.

3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

The personnas are pretty sharp, its to bad you find them to sharp. Try and go slow, watch the angle =)

If I where not on a no buy period I would offer to buy them off you if they don't work out haha But I'm not allowed =P

spacehobo likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That said, here's some more advice - put the blades away for 5-6 months, then try 'em again. I've heard many folks say after some time working on technique "bad" equipment somehow turned into the greatest thing ever. Never know.

5. jonmich

jonmich Member

Try in your Slim when you get it - on 1 or 2. If this doesn't work move slowly up from 2. Astra on 4 works for me.

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Personnas were a disaster for me also. Since you are stuck with a bunch of them, you could offer them for trade or sale, once you have been here 3 months (& have 50 posts.) Or you could just PIF them away (see Freebies form).

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Funny YMMV indeed. I like the Personnas but do not like Feathers or Astras.

8. Paulthebaker

Thankfully, they were part of an outfit that I bought and really therefore don't have anything in them cost-wise. Thank you for all of the responses, it is very much appreciated.

BigMark and Radiotube like this.
  9. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I smell a PIF in the near future...
    (if the Slim doesn't work out for you)

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Personnas are my favorite USA blade.

PatrickA51 and BigMark like this.
  11. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

My Personnas are from Israel. I like them a lot.

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I use the American made Personna Lab and Med Preps. Astra SP makes my face get all torn up and takes awhile to heal. I hope your face heals up quickly.

BigMark likes this.
  13. Paulthebaker

Now I'm a happy camper, look what the postman brought!!! Birth year/quarter Slim in gold! photo.JPG

14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I use Personna Labs and love them, no cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation (unless I cause it). They are sharp but razors are supposed to be, they don't seem extraordinary or unusual in any way.

2grubswrestle1 likes this.
  15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Steve.
    They are good blades. I have used them, but not on a regular basis. Good Luck.

16. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

I use Personna's in my R41 exclusively. Always an easy, comfortable shave for me. This appears to be a very good example of what works for one may not for another (YMMV). For me, the choice of soap over cream really matters. While I get a good shave with Musgo cream, I tend to experience some irritation, where I have little to no irritation when I use a good soap (Tabac, Stirling, MWF).

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Actually that is an Adjustable Aristocrat.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Good advice. It worked for me with Feather blades.

19. Paulthebaker

OK, now I am even happier, moreso since it came with a straight razor marked Esplanado Cutlery Co. Germany, and a beat-up brush, all for $23 off of ebay!

20. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

+1 a few weeks ago I used lab blues in my Slim at lower settings and got great results.

Jayaruh likes this.