Personna Lab Blue and Personna Medical Prep

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ryan B, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love the Personna Lab Blue blades and bought 100 of these blades last night. I haven't tried the Medical Prep, but bought 10 of those blades as well.

Anybody else like these blades?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ryan, did you have a Java bug message when you went to post? I did; you have two posts, which is why i asked. I almost posted 2x myself.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I love the Med Prep blades, I've tried 2-3 of them and if I didn't have a boatload of others, I'd have ordered several hundred of them. Quite affordable too.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  4. trader ron

trader ron Well-Known Member

I love the Lab Blue blades. They are my go to blade right now. I haven't tried the Med Prep blades. I would really like to try them some day. Let me know what you think of 'em and how they compare to the Labs.

Ryan Bales likes this.
  5. Ryan B

Yes, I've been having problems all morning with it. At least I know it's not just me now.

6. Ryan B

I think I have found a winner with the Lab blades. If these Med Prep blades are as good as the Labs, I'll buy a boatload of them too. I've PIF'd most of my other blades already.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If there's one thing I've learned about computer tech glitches and internet problems, it's never just you.

8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

The Personna "Lab" blades are my #2 blade, just behind Voskhod and tied with PolSilver. I have over 300 of them. I have a few med preps as well, but haven't tried them yet.

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Personna med blades and lab blades are the same thing, except the med blades receive some extra sterilization. I've used them both and compared them. That extra sterilization adds about $10 to the cost of a 100 pack. When I run out of my current blades I'll be ordering the lab blades.

10. Ryan B

What about the Barber Shop blades? I got a few of those with my Lab blades. Are they good blades?

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Barber shop blades appear to just be the regular Personna blades, rebranded by virtually everybody and sold in drugstores and grocery stores. No where near as sharp or as smooth as the Labs or Meds. Labs and Meds are my blade - don't bother with the expense of the Meds - Labs are the same blade without one additional "cleansing cycle" during manufacture. I have never been able to detect the slightest difference in comparing the two for shaving.

12. jdjones

jdjones New Member

Personna Labs are my favorite blade. They can be had for as low at $12.99/100 on Ebay and I agree with the earlier post that they are the same blade as the Meds. I have noticed no difference between the 2 when using them.

13. PBSax

PBSax Member

I've been thinking of ordering some of these. Thanks for the information guys. Interesting to know the difference between labs and meds is just the extra sterilization and cost.

14. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Love the meds. Didn't know about the labs, but will buy those next time (I have 250 of the meds at the moment). Great blades.

15. Ryan B

I gather that the Labs and Meds are pretty much the same blade.

16. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I bought a 100 pack of the blues as well. Have been using them for several months - great blades! Bought mine from Razor Blades & More and they snuck in a free pack of the red pack personnas for me to try. I tried those out last month and man... I think I liked those even better. Probably will try the reds next. Personnas are all around good blades for me.

Ryan Bales and PadreTex like this.
  17. Ryan B

Nice man. My hundred pack of the Labs are coming and should be here any minute.

18. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

Labs are a solid option. Like others have posted, I am under the impression that Labs and Meds are the same blade minus the sterilization process. There is a post somewhere that shows magnified photographs of select blade edges. If I remember correctly, there was a slight difference in the back edge of the bevel but it was chalked up to the extra "process." I have had both and could not discriminate between the two.

19. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I had gotten either 3 or 5 lab blues a while back and tried them out. After the 'trial', I liked them quite a bit. They seemed, to me, to be right behind Voskhod - they felt a bit sharper and gave a bit of a closer shave, but they seemed more ready to irritate my skin too. I just had to be more careful when using them than I did with Voskhods. So, recently I ordered 100 of the lab blues and a 10 pack of the med preps to try out.

My experience had been completely different this time around. I've only been wet shaving for a year, so it hasn't been all that long between the personna blade trials, but I am finding that they pull and tug from the very first shave to the last shave before I throw them away. After the first pass they are better, but that first pass is always horrible, whether it is shave #1 or shave #4 on the blade. And I've gone through about 4 or 5 blades from this 100 pack and they've all been the same. And the med preps don't seem much if any better. I don't know what changed in the last 9 months or so, but if my brother doesn't have any better luck with the personnas than I am when he tries them this weekend I think I might start pif'ing them because I just can't use them for some reason...

In that same order I also decided to give feathers another try (both the yellow box, and I also bought some black box for the first time) and I'm having better success with them than I did the first time I tried them. Perhaps my technique has just changed a bit and the personnas don't work with my new angle?

20. Ryan B

Hmm that's strange. This is a true testament of YMMV for sure. I can only use blades marked Super Stainless. Any Platinum or Chrome blades usually tear me up. For me Personna Labs, Meds, and Gillette 7 o' clock Super Stainless. But I think I will stick with Personna Labs.