Personna Lab Blue Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Personna.jpeg

Probably my new favorite go-to DE blade. I've been hearing and seeing reviews about them for years and have yet to try one out until the other day. Wow! They are super smooth and incredibly sharp.

90% of all my wet shaving over the past 6+ years has been with the Astra SP. A fantastic blade worthy of the praises it receives. I was gifted a small sample pack and it had the Personna Blue in it. I'm on my 4th shave with it now and it has surpassed all of my expectations. Smooth, sharp, and so far, the longevity is the same as my Astras. I was even able to do an against the grain pass tonight and that is unheard of for me. These blades went through my stubble like a laser - effortless and with precision. A winner for my face, for sure. :)

I'm definitely going to be ordering a 100ct. of these, seeing as how they are priced like the Astras. I have heard that their quality control is a little off. Can anyone say anything about that? How have the Personna Blues treated you?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hit and miss is an apropòs term. I will not use them anymore, rather I choose to use the Personna Med Preps. I have never had a "clunker" with the Preps as I have too often had with the Lab Blues.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've been using the Pesonna blue blades for my DE shaves for the past two years. I had one clunker in the bunch. I have been getting great shaves from them and will typically get four solid shaves per blade. I like them so much that I have over 400 in my stash.

4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Personna Blues are one of my go-to blades. I've gone through two boxes of them and they have been quite reliable in that time but admittedly my stock is from a few years back so I don't know if there are any current issues.
    Med Preps are nice too, and while some say they are the same blade I found them to be a tad sharper.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Please educate me Gentlemen. Which blade do I have here?
    Personna For Hospital Use.gif
    The fine print on the blade reads; For Hospital Use.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

For hospital use are the Med Preps.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jim!

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    In January I finished 46 shaves with a single Personna Blue. I typically use them for seven shaves and change. They are very good blades for me.
    [​IMG]

Knox, Bama Samurai, Taipan and 6 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me, Lab Blues work great in all of my DE razors. But where they work the best is in mild razors where they seem, to me at least, to make them more efficient.

10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Agreed ! :) Great blades. !

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. I would have to agree. I first tried Lab Blues with the Blackland Blackbird, which were included as a Kickstarter promotion. I found them to be very similar to Feather blades, if not quite as sharp. Too sharp for the rather aggressive Blackbird (IMO). Milder razors with these blades work best for me.

12. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Woke up with a buttery smooth face. The Lab Blues were awesome. How do they compare to the Med Preps? And where can I buy some Med Preps?

I used mine in a Pre-War Fat Handled Gillette Tech and it was a silky smooth process. Not a single tug or cut on my face. I got the bug and now am in the process or piecing together a sampler pack of blades I haven't tried. :)

CarlfromMO likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My first blades were persona labs (blue label), my next batch came in the same exterior box, but had plain white wrappers.
    Is it my imagination, or do the blue wrappers have more staying power?
    Same smooth sharp shave for 1-2-3, but the blues went 4-5. Could be me, I've sorta determined that 3 n done is ok with me. Theres so much to explore in this hobby.

14. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I like Lab Blues. I got some in a sampler I bought and thought they were very good. They didn't stand out for me enough to buy a 100 pack but I highly recommend them !!!

Demidog likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've tried on 3 different occasions and they are not for me.

Demidog likes this.
  16. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I always use lean blues. I try other blades on occasion, but I always go back to the Personnas. I use them in all of my razors. I find that I either like a blade or I don't. The razor I use them in doesn't make a difference, but I seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Lab Blue are my go2 blade.

dscaver likes this.
  18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Lab Blues are my go-to blade as well. I love the sharpness, I love the value and I love that theyre made in the USA.

Matt0210, dscaver and Rob626 like this.
  19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theyre the same blade, you know. The Med Preps simply go through an additional cleaning process.

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've also read that each Med Prep is honed at a different angle than the Lab Blues.