Picked up a Gem Junior single-edge razor today at a flea market.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael519, May 11, 2013.

1. Michael519

Michael519 Member

It was only three dollars.

[​IMG]

Good? Bad? For the record, I don't own any single edge razor blades, but I'd be willing to buy some if they're if there are any of them that shave as good as my feathers do.

Also to note:

-Its pretty dirty.
    -Little green spot on the back...tarnish, I believe?
    -It opens up sorta like a clothespin, and you put the blade inside. But the join feels really stiff, like it needs lubricant.

178-bplatoon and srpavko like this.
  2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Clean it up. That little green spot will go away. Then tell us how you like the shave. Three bucks looks like a good score.

Edit: Make sure the ends (sharp corners) of the blade are completely covered by the two end tabs of the razor head/handle before you use it.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a great little razor. Make sure you get a good blade. The Personnas at Walgreens are great.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! I have one that I paid 4-5 times that, so, yeah, ya done good! As has been said, it'll clean up nice. Do not boil since it is gold finished. I would recommend Scrubbing Bubbles.

Many folks really like the 1912 patent head of those razors.

As for blades, I get Gem blades at ShopRite. My recommendation is to avoid Treet blades.
    And DO NOT BUY hardware store single edge blades - they are NOT for shaving.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

$3?!? "WOW SWEET SCORE"!!!!!:happy088: The handle is called a "baton" type handle. I think you may find that while the handle looks and feels a little strange at first, but that it really delivers when shaving. It kinda hard to explain, but for me at least in the performance dept. that handle "SHINES" it's one of the best SE handles I've ever used!!!!! Also just FYI for your info the three 1912 heads (1912,Damaskeen and Gem Jr.) all shave a little different. I think your going to like this razor...:) Definately don't use "hardware store" blades..I personnally use Stainless Gem blades from Walgreens they give me a nice smooth shave and last a fairly long time..The Ted Pella blades you can get online are also said to be good, although I've never used them...
    Unless you can't find Gem blades locally and really want to try the razor "NOW" I'd also suggest you stay away from store branded blades "made in Korea"(Dorco?) also. I.M.O. there pretty rough...:)

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve; scrubbing bubbles work well. I also use cheap toothpaste to help with the shine. Once you clean it up the stiffness may go away. It may be clogged with crud. Remember though that it is a spring mechanism head and you need some stiffness to hold the blade in place.

Alan

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

You want it to be stiff, that's what holds the blade securely in place. If it opens too easily the blade can slide back in the frame.