PIF'd R41 Handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Matt0210, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0953.JPG I got this handle for my R41 a few days before Christmas as a generous gift from @PickledNorthern. I didn't think the stock handle was that bad until I tried this handle for the first time. It's made out of brass but do not know the matte coating, I'm sure Jared can remind me. Just holding this thing you know it's a great handle. It's got some good weight to it and the grip has really nice knurling so I don't worry at all about it slipping around in the middle of the shave. It's also slightly longer than the stock handle, which to me makes it a little easier to control. Those of you who do not yet own an R41 and are considering getting one, budget for a new handle for it. It makes all the difference. The stock handle is so light that it almost makes you put unneeded pressure on the blade. Using the heavier handle reminds me that the razor is aggressive and helps let the razor do the work (if that makes any sense). Just wanted to give you guys a quick review, and give a shout out to Jared for the generous gift. It's people like him and others that make this forum a blessing and a privilege to be a part of.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Well said.:eatdrink047:

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

This place is awesome ! Congrats on the handle!

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't know what the coating is, it is a brushed satin over brass. I think 90 (ish) grams, and 95 mm (ish) long.

Nothing fancy, but just different enough to make that 41 into a "whole nother" razor.

Enjoy, Matt. You have been a great Den-ner from day one.

5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I use the handle from my evahs when I use the R41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demidog, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I found the stock Muhle handle to be light and slippery.

I went with a bulldog handle as I prefer a shorter one and now use the same one on all my razors.

Congrats and enjoy your shaves.

7. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I was ready to get rid of my R11 before I experimented with better handles. Currently using a Scotch and Stowe Fatty.

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Matt,
    I have that handle and your review was spot on. It greatly improved my shaves with both the DE-89 and the R41.

Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I like my R41 with my Weber much better than stock.

Congrats on the find. Nice review.

Carbide Mike, Robyflexx and Matt0210 like this.
  11. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

I use a Weber on my R41 also. Perfect weight.

Matt0210 and Carbide Mike like this.
  12. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

+1. I used my R41 w a Weber Bulldog. It's a work a industrial art. The grip is superb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Matt0210 likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Jared is a cool dude! Glad you like it!

Matt0210 likes this.