Pinaud Clubman VS Aqua Velva Ice Blue VS Skin Bracer

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by idan, Oct 15, 2016.

?

Pinaud Clubman VS Aqua Velva Ice Blue VS Skin Bracer

1. Pinaud Clubman

2. Aqua Velva Ice Blue

3. Skin Bracer

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. David W650

David W650 Active Member

It would be Clubman. The other two are nice but Clubman is in a class by itself. Plus it doesn't hurt that I've had some women tell me they liked the scent of Clubman.

Spyder, Douglas Carey and Paul Turner like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Clubman Uber Alles!!

entropy1049, Spyder and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Skin Bracer. I like all three though, and rotate between them. Literally just bought a fresh bottle Skin Bracer tonight as I ran out of Aqua Velva yesterday.

Spyder and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

clubman defines old school for me.wife loves it.skin bracer second .i use the aqua velve green,not keen on the blue.

Spyder and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd say the advantage Skin Bracer has over Aqua Velva is that SB began as an aftershave, and still is that today. I was sour on the story of Aqua Velva beginning as a mouthwash, but they made the switch in 1935, so that's 82 years of getting it right. I forgive AV now.

Matt0210 and Spyder like this.
  6. Paul Turner

never tried the AV green. Must be pretty close in scent to Skin Bracer.

7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Have all 3 in my rotation.

Skin Bracer is my favorite though. Just like its fern, powder and menthol scent. Wish I could find a soap with that scent profile.

Pinaud Clubman is what the barber used on me when I was young. Liked the scent back then and still do today.

Aqua Velva has grown on me. Originally I was not sure how much I would use it, as I liked SB & Clubman so much more. But now it firmly has it's place in my shave den and gets used weekly.

Paul Turner and Jim99 like this.
  8. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

I have all three myself...but reached for the Aqua Velva when I shaved earlier today. I can still faintly smell it on my hands.

I don't really have a favorite among them, I just make a mental note and the next time I'll use one of the others.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

After hearing Canoe (my Lady Friends favorite) compares I picked up my first bottle of Clubman today. It joins Special Reserve & The Veg on my shelf of good ones. AV Ice Blue is my preferred menthol for hot Louisiana days although {Osage Rub+Florida Water} may edge it out. Don't have MSB, so no opinion.

Guess I'd split my vote; 2/3 Clubman & 1/3 AV-IB.

While transferring the Clubman to a glass bottle I got enough on my hands that I couldn't smell the Canoe. Try again tomorrow.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

quite similar.aqua velva calls it "original sport" .harder to find,most stores i go to only stock the blue.army and navy stores carry it.

11. RetLEO-07

I've got Clubman, Canoe, Aramis and Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. Love 'em all. Use the VIBR with TOBS Coconut, Trumper Limes, Taconic Bay Rum and Stone Cottage Bay Lime. Use the rest with Simpsons Unscented, Trumper GFT. Feelin' good and smellin' better.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

If I could find a low or no clove Bay Rum I'd give it a try.
    Lime is good though. Keeping my eyes open for Avon or Old Spice Lime in the thrift stores.

13. RetLEO-07

Fleamarket?

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes, and sometimes antique stores. But you are right about fleamarkets. I've found my best Avon buys alongside Interstate 10 in Beaumont, Texas. The home of the tray of $12 Fat Boys. Don't go looking though. I cleared them out. Might still be a Slim Adjustable there.
    From India/ebay there's an Old Spice Lime available. If I don't find vintage, I'll get theirs.

15. RetLEO-07

No worries about that. I might make it to Texas in May for my son's promotion ceremony at Ft. Hood. Otherwise you've got 'em all to yourself!

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The trouble is, the bay in bay rum is not the Bay Laurel that is used in soups and stews etc..... It is the West Indian Bay tree which smells like..... Wait for it... Cloves. A lighter more subtle scent than cloves, but similar. There are 2 types of Bay Rum. Caribbean style like Dominica, and Captains Choice, and Cowboy style like Ogallala. The Old West wasn't blessed with any Bay trees but spices like cloves were available and made an acceptable substitute. All bay rum aftershaves will smell somewhat like clove, but the Caribbean ones are a little less like a Christmas Ham.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Tough cowpoke Jack Palance liked it :).

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Chris @cmorris357 That was some actual factual information!
    The only Bay Rum to pass my den so far - a small bottle of Krampert's Finest. I tried a pre-shave oil by Shave Secret that has a bit of Bay Rum about it, too. It's not an allergy, just an aversion. If Cloves can't be separated from the genre, then I can stick to The Veg.

cmorris357 likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Heck I use all three on a regular basis. PC (my #1) on Monday. AV on Saturday and SB on Sundays. Whomever says man is a creature of habit - hell they may be right!

20. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I love the Pinaud Clubman scent - reminds me of my favorite barbershop, but it can be overbearing in close quarters. Use sparingly.
    The Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is a favorite, great burn on application, and very nice subtle lingering scent.

The Aqua Velva Ice Blue was a favorite when I was in grade school. Lost my interest in it during college. I really like the AV Musk. It is a bit more expensive, but superior scent IMHO.

Skin Bracer is a great staple in the menthol AS splashes, but I find it a bit sweet. I have actually come to like the clones better than the original in this scent.