Pipe and cigar smokers, is this the beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Keithmax, May 5, 2016.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

BamaT and TexasTiger like this.
  2. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

Seems like another example of the Government not having enough common sense to do anything efficiently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaT and Keithmax like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Seems like we are all incapable of making our own decisions and the government realizes this and wants to help. I'm going to go now.....

BamaT, Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  4. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Uh, I'm going to smoke cigars when I want to no matter what foolishness the governments starts, if they do.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's the deeming regulations from the FDA designed to suppress everything but cigarettes. It's aimed at vaping, but pipes and cigars might have been caught in the crossfire.

A classic case of using the "we're doing it to save the children" card, while being firmly in the pockets of Big Tobacco.

Vaping was well on it's way to cutting cigarette sales in half by 2020. Looks like it will become a black market industry now.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

California just passed a new law that requires anyone buying tobacco products must be 21 years old, it was 18.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the takeaway right there. As wonky as it was, look up the old short THE WATER ENGINE. Same principle here.

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    A machinist my dad know as a young man developed a 100 mpg carburetor that burned fuel so efficiently only water vapor was in the exhaust. When he went public with the company, an "unknown organization" purchased the majority of the shares. A chain link fence was erected around the facility and military personnel were stationed as guards. All of the equipment was loaded onto trucks and driven to the port. My dad later was told that everything was loaded onto a ship and dumped into the ocean.

Several other inventors came up with similar processes, and Big Oil finally put a stop to it by adding lead to the gasoline. The lead fouled the nozzles of the new type of carburetor, rendering them useless.

gorgo2, BamaT and Keithmax like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The worst part of it is even though I live in another country this law will impact me as it will hit the hard the vaping, cigar and pipe industries. If it can't be sold in the US it may go out of production and then it will not be sold in Korea either.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Also @PLANofMAN

Two bills in US Congress right now would exempt pipe and cigar, because the politicians realize they just got hit too on their vices. This is about control, vaping, Big Tobacco lobbyists, and a trade war over rare earth metals with China (they make the batteries) that our media won't admit is going on. I am sure this isn't over.

11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

yet at 18 you are a "adult" by law, and fully capable/accountable to make your own decisions?...go figure...I dont even think that is a bad law but the logic with age laws just makes no sense to me.

gorgo2, Keithmax and BamaT like this.
  12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this is the case for ALL big bussiness...I know GE does this kind of stuff all the time too...its how we know we have lost touch with the values our country was founded on and why this country is just a consumer.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't want to go into politics here, but this sounds more like something the EU would force upon us than an American thing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. Bama Samurai

The practical question posed wasn't political. I think what @Keithmax refers to are really economic realities. With new regulation, more costs are added to the final price. This will cut demand, and cut production, which in turn will start a cycle of price inflation and demand deflation, ultimately sending pipes and cigars the way of the snuff box, because no manufacturers of any scale will remain.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying, and I adapted my post.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Where are you in the EU?

Edit: I see Netherlands on your profile. ;)

clawdad likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to "realpolitik."

The Tobacco Control Act ensured a payout to each state based on number of cigarettes sold in that state per year. That payout is supposed to be used for antismoking ads, programs and other projects. Instead, it's turned into a slush fund for politicians' pet projects, as there is little oversight on how those millions are spent.

That's just one of the reasons Washington has little interest in supporting vaping. The big pharmaceutical companies also cash in on end of life support for smokers and quit smoking aids (that in my opinion, are not as effective as vaping). They see vaping as a big threat to their cash cow.

Corporate America and American Politics are more closely intertwined than most people guess. In any event, this isn't something that was voted on. This is a neat piece of legislation that was decided by the small committee that runs the FDA. It will be two years before the regulations go into full effect, so there is time yet for laws to be passed that nullify or modify elements of this legislation.

Here's a very well-written commentary on the deeming regulations by Michael Siegel, Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health. Good read.
    http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.be/2016/05/fda-e-cigarette-deeming-regulations-are.html?m=1

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Isn't that in my profile? (can't see it in Tapatalk, I believe) Netherlands, where vaping is still relatively unrestricted (but that may change if it becomes even more popular).

Knowing my country, they'll just put a higher tax on it lol. (that's the solution for everything)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

I found it in your profile. Taxes on tobacco in America vary widely. I live in the state of Colorado, and a pack of cigarettes costs about US$5. In New York, the cigarettes are taxed more heavily, and a pack costs around $11.

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team