PLANofMAN's MWF Hydration Method

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Check out this thread:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-vintage-williams-project.45842/
    I have done this one twice and really enhances my vintage Williams pucks. The second MWF will get used up (eventually :happy097: I had to titanic my way through puck number one) and the 3rd, Lord willing, I am still around, will get grated and pressed directly into my ceramic bowl. BTW, yes, the cavendish experiment was VERY successful. Excellent results; no ill-effects on my skin.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thread resurrection!

I have a new puck of Mitchell's on the way along with the ceramic dish. My first puck, which has maybe one or two shaves left, was just the refill. I grated it and pressed into a cheap plastic container, which actually worked really well. I am inclined to grate the new puck into the ceramic dish and press to fit. I have never had lathering problems with The Fat. To me you just need to soak it while showering and then load like it owes you money. Beautiful lather every time.

So, since we're almost a year away from any posts in this thread does anyone have anything to add? New methods? Grating still work? I thought I remembered @Primotenore trying the soaking method as described here but not being overall pleased with the results.

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Primotenore likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The ceramic container is pretty nice to look at, but it is very slippery when wet. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the refill and put it in a cheap plastic container. I have to be very careful each time I lather the fat.

PLAla likes this.
  5. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The Fat does get slick. My counter space in my bathroom is very minimal so I keep most of my soaps in round Ziploc containers. I am very careful with my ceramic Tabac container, and my Old Spice Mug.

Clayton

Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I didn't use MWF for about two months when I moved, and the puck dried out and shrank. Soaking didn't fully rehydrate it enough to fill the ceramic bowl again, but did make it soft enough to push down into the container. Putty-like consistency.

If you have qualms about soaking it, grating and pressing is a perfectly acceptable alternative. In fact, in hindsight, I would recommend grating it unless a person plans on using it at least twice a week to keep the initial hydration procedure 'topped off.'

PLAla, Primotenore and SpeedyPC like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team

The reason I wasn't pleased with my soaking results, was that much of the puck leeched out either the lanolin, and/or some other ingredient(s), rendering the soap lackluster and disappointing; truly, it was a different soap. :angry019:
    I have worked my way through 3 full pucks of MWF, two of which I have infused with tobacco and I get the most success from grating the puck and pressing it into the dish. I do give the puck a big-long soak whilst showering. I am going to stick with this method.

PLANofMAN and PLAla like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I want to clarify that my previous post was never meant to show @PLANofMAN any disrespect. I remain a 'Libertarian' shaver and what works for you...works for me. :)

9. brit

brit in a box

first time i heard of soaking the puck.haven't soaked so far but got great lathers..i bought a refill and put it in a glass container.hopefully it won't expand and crack it..

RyX likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The expanded soap is quite soft, similar to italian croaps. I shouldn't think you would have any issues. Regular (daily) use also does this...so it's best to think of this as a "kickstart" method that just condenses a month long process.

As for "soaking the puck," it's an extreme version of "blooming" a puck, and the term blooming wasn't around when I started this thread. I personally despise the word, since I don't feel it is an accurate description, and "soaking" is a more accurate, but less colorful definition.

Still..."blooming" is a permanent addition to the wet shaver's lexicon. I have to accept it and move on.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    brit likes this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

How about souse? Can we all get behind sousing?

brit, ghostlife and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Eh, if it the same thing described in the 1st result on google search from the urban dictionary, then count me out! :eek:

brit likes this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am not quite up on my urban lexicon. :)

Kilgore Trout and brit like this.