Plating a razor at home

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by suffolksupplies, Oct 11, 2008.

1. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I just got back from a plating shop and while their unit price was good, 2-3$ per knob or handle their minimum was $150.
    I'm going to check out another place tomorrow.
    The boss wasn't there so the person I talked to didn't know if it was possible to piggyback on someone else batch.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Soda is called Caustic Soda for a reason.

It will strip most things to the bone.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great thread, Paul!

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Paul, the razor appears to be an ABC (American Button Company) version manufactured for Gillette around 1912 as a Pocket Edition.

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very interesting thread Paul! There was a fellow on Ebay who sold replated razors and they looked great. He always told you in the listing if it was replated. Most everyone thought they were great and he was preserving them, others thought he was ruining them. I think it's a very practical solution.

6. Thank you. I have looked in the archives & on Ebay & it does look very similar to these pocket Gillettes. I haven't seen anything the same but there are always variations in products.

Best regards,

Paul

7. I can understand some collectors wanting to keep their Gillettes in genuine factory condition, but once a razor has lost plate it doesn't look very good.

I'm not sure if I could ever sell re-plated razors, mainly because of the time involved in the dismantling & cleaning process. But if I get good at it, I might offer a re-plating service. The hardest bit seems to be getting an adjustable apart. It took quite a while for me to get my Aristocrat apart.

Regards,

Paul

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

This looks like yours, Paul. It is indeed a 1912. (Thanks to my friend Achim for the photo.)

[​IMG]