Please explain "J" Hooking

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Paul6506, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

Not a brand new newbie but fairly new.... Getting decent shaves but my neck has been a bit of a challenge. I have read of some shavers doing the J hook method on their neck. Could someone actually explain what exactly they are doing? My neck whiskers actually grow left to right on most of my lower neck if that helps.
    Thanks.

Robyflexx and battle.munky like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think Mantic has a video example on the toob.

Basically you make a bit of a pivot/rotation with the razor head on the tricky spot you are trying to get BBS.

"Its all in the wrist" type of movement. I've tried it and had some success but then I stopped chasing the baby. I'd still check out Mark's video just to get a better understanding of it. It isn't super easy to explain with words. Pics/video is far better for this IMO.

Best of luck!

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I took a quick look for Mark's video - didn't find it.
    A little help? Anyone?

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

At work, so I can't post a link, but I think it's in Mark's Advanced Shaving Techniques video.

5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Basically you make a small J with the razor. Here is the video everyone is talking about.

Really great explanations of several techniques

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks William!

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've found G-slide easier on the neck. He talks about it in the same video. I J-hook cheeks some and for days when I need BBS I hook some around the Adams apple.

Robyflexx and wmbjr like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

J-Hooking the neck is the only way I've found to get BBS. My beard seems to grow in swirls in a couple of places on either side of my Adam's apple. I use it often with all my razors from injectors to slants.

Robyflexx and wmbjr like this.
  9. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

The Adam's apple is the same area in which my beard grows in every direction and in which I have to J-hook in order to get BBS with some razors. Some I can get it without, but others the J-hook is a necessity on touch-up.

Robyflexx and cmorris357 like this.
  10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

When the working girls cross the street illegally.

txskimo, PLANofMAN, Brushfire and 4 others like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Its a slight twist of the razor at the end of the stroke on your neck that is usually lined up perfectly with the one razor you have with uneven blade exposure that results in a cut requiring cold water, pressure, styptic pencil, and a band aid. It works best when others are waiting to use the bathroom.

12. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

There is another stroke that I use allot. Instead of placing razor head at a horizontal position place the head at an angle and stroke straight down. using the blade as if it were a guillotine blade the same idea as using a slant razor. So instead of your blade chopping the whiskers you are slicing them, just like a chef cutting herbs. This technique is best used by experienced shavers only.
    When learning from my Dad or teaching my sons there was never a name or terminology for a razor stoke, just "use it like this" or "like that" :) But now I'm learning the names.

Primotenore and Troy M like this.
  14. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Kilgore Trout, Paul6506 and Troy M like this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1

wmbjr likes this.
  16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great video :happy088:

wmbjr likes this.
  17. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

+1 thats the way i do it. one or two passes and done. I think i keep that razor about 45 deg angle, i use the corner of the razor head as an arrow to point the way i am going. really works great. I am way more confident with this method than sliding a blade across my face. it also makes for a very smooth feeling shave as in the feeling of the blade on your skin.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

That's basically a "Gillette slide"

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was about to say the same thing.