Please tell me,

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by david of central florida, Apr 2, 2017.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Recently I've noticed some safety razors labeled Böker. A name I've liked in pocket knives and straight razors. $_1-28.jpg $_1-21.jpg
    I like the looks of these two. But i have a fatip grande and a weishi. 20170402_061523_resized(1).jpg Are they the same?
    Or are the Böker ones made by Böker?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What's the price tag on 'em?

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would guess made by Boker, unless they slapped on a huge mark up.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

When the Boker DE shaving gear was introduced in 2012, it was all made by Muhle. (According to a Boker dealer commenting in a discussion on The Shave Nook then.). Whether it's still rebadged Muhle (like Edwin Jagger's razors) or whether somebody else now makes some of it for Boker or Boker now makes it themselves is anybody's guess. But originally the DE razors and the accompanying brushes were made by Muhle.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am not a fan of logos on caps. That is just me. Other than that, they are good looking razors.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

They look like rebranded weishi and fatip.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

The TTO looks exactly like my Weishi. Not saying it is the same, but it does look that same.

9. Screwtape

The ones that look like Weishi (the TTO and another "low profile" 3pc on the Boker website) are zinc alloy just like the Weishi, Parkers, etc. Meanwhile the one that looks like a Fatip Grande is solid brass - and Fatip is about the only company that currently makes brass 3 pc razors. So I don’t know about the TTO, but I would say that 3 pc undoubtedly IS a rebadged Fatip.

Which means it's going to be a very well made razor and the price is about right.

Not so sure about the TTO...

10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

those are rebranded Weishi and fatip, BTW they are both all brass razors, no zinc in these 2

11. Screwtape

The Boker USA website says the 3 pc is brass but describes the TTO as "all components are made from zinc die-castings and have a premium chrome-plated finish".

I figure Boker should know what Boker's razors are made of...

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I always thought the Weishi TTO's were all brass

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My only question is why would I want to pay 47.95 for a Fatip that says Boker when I can buy a Fatip that doesn't say Boker for 30?

14. Screwtape

Actually, I think they are. In which case, this one isn't a rebranded Weishi ... Maybe a rebranded Parker? The only thing that seems certain is that Boker itself doesn't manufacture any of the DE razors it sells.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  15. Screwtape

Because the handsome Boker name and logo on the cap adds $18 in value to the razor? :)

16. PickledNorthern

Works for me. Ironically at the same time Boker started selling rebranded Muhle, you could buy identical Muhle synthetics with a Boker stamp for $30 less than a Muhle.

Screwtape likes this.
  17. Screwtape

Actually, to be fair, looking at it a little more closely, the Boker version is a Fatip Grande that has then been nickel plated over the original's solid brass. So it has had additional prep done to the razor that might well add to the cost. That one really does look like a nice razor.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

How is that any different than the nickel plated razors Fatip already sells? Are you saying it is different plating?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Screwtape

The only Fatip Grandes I had seen for sale seemed to be straight brass. If they sell a nickel-plated version, I assume this is it with no difference other than the logo

20. PickledNorthern

I guess I didn't know they weren't all plated. I know there is at least gold, chrome, gunmetal and nickel.