Poll: Arko vs. Williams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Nov 28, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose between the two?

1. Arko

2. Williams

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Are you suggesting Williams started life as a saddle soap? :cool: :p

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

No, but (imho) that's all that it's good for:)

Jorvaljr and swarden43 like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Saddle soap smells better. :D

brit, Jorvaljr and Spyder like this.
  4. Screwtape

Funny thing is, when you consider how long Williams has been made and what the big commercial cleansers were then, Williams might well have started in the harness soap business and only later branched out to serving shavers. (Not saying it did, because I haven't tried to research the company history, but it is certainly possible.)

Edit: I read that Mr Williams went into the soap business in 1840, producing "Genuine Yankee Soap" , which was sold as both a shaving and toilet (hand, face and bath) soap. He did this though after 6 years in the general store business. I wonder what kind of cleansers he was stocking, selling, and experimenting with during that period before starting commercial soap making? :angelic007: ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Jorvaljr, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have a half dozen boxes of Williams from a long time ago. It is the same stuff available now, or different. ?. Curious. Any feedback will be appreciated

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. Screwtape

Depends on how "a long time ago" is. If it's more than a decade, then the stuff has been reformulated at least once and possibly more than that since yours was made. And the near universal opinion across the boards seems to be that each reformulation has primarily been to cut costs and has downgraded the product.

I couldn't say myself; I have never used any really old Williams to compare with newer stuff. And I turned my own newer stuff into bath soap...

DaltonGang and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've heard the old stuff was better than the newer stuff. I can't find Williams locally here so I haven't had the pleasure ( or misfortune) of using it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I believe I purchased it in 1999. It appears that it is a different color, more off white ,than the newer one I purchased last year.

9. Screwtape

I'm pretty sure at least one of the changes was in the last decade, so yours probably is a different formula than the current stuff.

10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thank you for the information. I am curious about it, and will pick up a new Williams and compare to the older stock I saved. My last new Williams went into the shower. lol. I will post if there is any difference .Thanks again.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Having successfully lathered both Arko and newer(made in last 10 yrs) Williams, Arko is the better of the two IMO. Only downside with Arko is it can't be purchased locally.:(

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am hoping to get some Arko this week. Thank you

Jayaruh and SpeedyPC like this.
  13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Carbide Mike make sure you don't have a strong scent of smell.............................................Be aware!!!!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use Arko daily it's my go to soap. I haven't used another soap in years. I think you'll like it. I cut the stick up and mash it into a small Ziplock container and use it as a puck mostly.:)

SpeedyPC and Carbide Mike like this.
  15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Sounds like I will do the same.

16. DaltonGang

:taunt002:

Carbide Mike and SpeedyPC like this.
  17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Inspite of the name, I have to go with Arko. It is just easier to lather and easier on my face. I have exactly the opposite problem to @poppi with Williams.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    December will be Arko month for me. I put it in an old deodorant container. I like just rubbing it on my face and building my lather right there.
    sod161201.JPG

19. DaltonGang

That's the way it's meant to be used. I need to do it that way, once in a while.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Maybe the old deodorant container will be helpful...:happy097:

Carbide Mike, PLAla and SpeedyPC like this.