POLL; Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by sparky5693, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Would you visit TSD without tapatalk?

1. Yes. Spend the extra income here.

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. I'd return, but probably less than if we kept tapatalk.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. No. If tapatalk goes, I go.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Don't use tapatalk don't care.

61 vote(s)
    70.9%
  1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I don't even know what "tap talk" is, why it's even necessary, or how to use it.

Puma likes this.
  2. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Judging by people's comments, it seems to be something for smart phones and tablets, both of which I do not need and have never owned. For those using computers you'll probably never miss it. It also looks like it is possible for people with those devices to get by without Tapatalk, but some like the convenience it provides.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will admit to almost asking tbat myself.

4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call either one worthless, but it does show a shortcoming of Tapatalk if it doesn't display the poll and provide a means for the user to vote.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I use a tablet 99% of the time, and find posting pictures through the browser (most forums, not just here) to be more of a pain than it is worth. (Admittedly I haven't tried in a while so maybe changes have been made???) If Tapatalk went away I certainly wouldn't leave the forum, but I see my participation decreasing. At least in terms of posting pics.

As far as revenue is concerned, I totally get it. When this came up last year, I started donating a small stipend every month to make up for any possible money loss my Tapa use might cause. Since we don't have ads, and I very seldom link to any revenue generating sites anyway, I am sure I am staying net positive.

Another thing to consider for rural users, and I know we are a minority, but when mobile and not on wi-if, the Tapa app seems to run on much weaker signal than the browser. If I had to use the browser when I am out and about, at least around home, I would probably seldom bother.

mrchick likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nobody said Tapatalk was everything we'd want. It provides the functionality I indicated previously, which is of value to me. Personally i value photo hosting more than polls.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I couldn't have said it better. I like Tapatalk for the photo handling.
    I'm a regular donor here that hopes the donations help, but haven't a clue just how expensive Tapatalk is for TSD. What are we talking on cost?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nexus 6 user here, on Google Fi, using home wifi, no need for Tapatalk; dump it. I will still be around.

Enrico likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's about eliminating their drain of referral revenue. Not an existential forum issue. Tapatalk deprives revenue is the real issue.

Puma likes this.
  10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Exactly. If it's something our members really want, then it's worth it regardless.

Tapatalk is a company that exists to make money, and I have no fault in that. I just am not sure what they bring to the table is worth it for us.

As admin, I know I'm a little biased here, which is why I'm seeking out the opinion of our members.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Personally, I can do it all on Safari or whatever. Tapatalk is a decent aggregator and reader, but doesn't truly add anything, and even obscures some forum functionality like polls.

Puma likes this.
  12. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

That is why the poll is NOT worthless.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I don't use Tapatalk. My vote is to eliminate it.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Honestly, I only use TSD on my lap top at home. I mainly use my cell for weather, radar, directions and of course phone. I just save my internet for leisure at home.

But that's just me; each to there own.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I use my flip phone to find my wife in Walmart and that is about all. I have no use for a "smart" phone. I say save your money.

Puma likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Save the money. I never use Tapatalk.

17. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Sort of like me, Jim. The flip phone is for the wife to get me when I am out riding. If she ever wises up and leaves me, that phone is gone.

18. DE Cartman

DE Cartman Well-Known Member

Never used Tapatalk on any forum.

19. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Tried Tapatalk, didn't like it. The German wet-shaving forum got rid of it about a year ago (though that was a security decision rather than a financial one)

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's limited if people on Tapatalk can't see it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk