Pondering the DE2SE - to Kick or not to Kick?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So I assume next step is to manufacture some working prototypes to actually assess how they look, feel - and shave - before even moving it to a kickstarter project?

2. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I think it is an awesome idea........I am a huge fan of the Utopia Handle!!

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Well... that is the way it is done in the workaday world, but it presents a problem for this proposed Kickstart. The rough quote includes the 3-D CAD models that become the first run on CNC machines. There may be time to test one or two off of the front end and tweak just a little, but the proposed $70 does not include iterative protoyping. In theory, the concepts are proven on the originals. The risk is in the hybridization effort somehow missing the target.

I envision explaining this risk clearly in the KS "Risk" section. I think it ethical to fully explain without elaborating to the extreme. As anyone in manufacturing, as well as the folks behind the Rockwell razor, can attest, there is always some first time risk. Given the machine shop's experience going in, I estimate our chances as good as anyone — and likely better — for getting it right the first time.

Do you think that risk will keep the project from getting 1250 backers? :signs002:

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks.
    I think everyone will make their own decision on how important it is to have a working POC before committing.

I don't think there is an 'ethical' question at all - but rather raising the confidence in that it can be a product - and a good product - to potential buyers.

I will have to be completely honest though and admit that I could not see myself putting down any money before a pretty new design like this had at least a machined prototype that showed how well it worked. The power in seeing something like this in a 2 minute video would, to me, be huge.

Machined prototypes are expensive to make but they have the power to achieve two rather important things;
    - prove that it can be built,
    - prove that it works well.

Best of luck though, I admire anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit! :)

5. maltedmilk

Article Team

Excellent points. I agree! Some thoughts:
    • Have considered 3-D printing the prototypes. Requires models.
    • KS recommends a video. Period. That's why I have begged (am begging!) for helpers! <sigh>
    • Technically, this is not entrepreneurial. I assume minimal personal risk and won't make a single penny**.

** I have not envisioned this thing going viral. I think 1250 backers is a plenty high bar and frequently have to pump up my optimism.

At this point, there ain't no real plan and my machinist is buried like an avalanche survivor waiting to be rescued! I need some time from him to start hanging flesh on the skeleton! Yeah... it sure would be nice to have a prototype... <sigh>

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

How about maybe reaching out to one of the smaller companies that specialize in small-run, prototype manufacturing and see if they could make a couple of razors?
    It might not be in the material you will end up using at the end - but it might just be able to produce a metal razor with the design - and that you can be used to show how it will look and perform?

Some examples of places like that would be http://www.star-prototype.com/ where you can do quantities down to one and get a quote online.
    I don't think anyone would mind if you took any prototype cost and spread that out as a markup over the first run to recoup that cost :)

7. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Dude, you're not feeling me on this... I'm not confused about how it's done in the real world. I do that every day at work! I am (foolishly?) pursuing an idea in the bootstrap world.

It's not that I don't have entrepreneurial spirit! What I I lack is entrepreneurial capital. Got any free ideas?

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Glad this isn't dead in the water. I say Steel. You could try the other forums to get more backers.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry, guess I misunderstood that it wasn't an option to hope to recoup a small, initial prototype cost later on.
    My bad.

10. maltedmilk

Article Team

Oddly, as the one blabbing about it, I am precisely the wrong person to talk it up in the other forums. It was only after a sidebar with the good folks at TSD and a collective moderator team review that the powers here (quite generously!) agreed to allow this discussion. Those other forums aren't near so friendly as The Shave Den! I think they would call me a witch an entrepreneur and run me out of town on a rail!

My thought on spreading the word was to ask fellow TSDers to go out and talk it up. I know I've seen some of you posting in other places! ;)

I didn't plan on asking until there is something of a plan in place... It could be some time yet. <sigh>

The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient...

11. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Well... rolling around in the back of my head is proposing a partnership with my machinist. I add very little to the relationship other than being the wild-eyed "idea" guy. Well, that and possibly a secretary for recording the temperature here. Collectively, you guys are perhaps the greatest resource.

It's funny, really... I typically try to avoid middlemen and here I am trying to be one!

I know my guy likes the idea. We have a friendship that extends beyond our work relationship. However, it is still business first! I feel a little awkward asking him to contribute more than he has already agreed to donate. Know what I mean?

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I can't believe I missed this thread.

First off, USPS is more than happy to drop off 1,250 flat rate boxes at any address you choose. You just create an account at USPS.com pick your stuff and they'll drop it off at your door.

Second, for the handle. Copy the Darwin. People will buy your razor just for the handle, guaranteed.
    [​IMG]
    That's about all I have to offer. Aside from very good photoshop skills. But I would need a physical prototype to work from and photograph.

Sign me up for one if these become reality.

Edit: I would consider a name change as well. DE2SE describes it, but it doesn't exactly give a person the warm and fuzzies, you know what I mean?
    I would call it the "IMRI" razor. If it's anything like the shake sharp, it will be a very smooth but very vocal razor. A name that means "eloquence" would be perfect.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    maltedmilk likes this.
  13. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Thanks for the photos and injection of interest and enthusiasm, Ryan. I haven't let the dream die, but the next step is 3D models. Early on, I thought my machinist might roll some in, but he referred me to a freelance engineer. As I recall, the machinist estimated $1500-ish for the work of measuring razors and turning into SolidWorks CAD files.
    <sigh>
    SO... assuming the models are indeed $1500 and printed prototypes $500, I'm on the hook for 2 large. If I had some investment capital, I'd consider it. Alas, my bank account is not so blessed.

At this point, all I can think of is a pre-Kickstarter KickStarter to fund the 3D models. Backers would receive no tangibles. They could possibly receive a discount on the finished razor, but the numbers for the razor KS won't hold together if we have to pay back the original $2K. We'd have to raise the funding goal.

I'm not ready to give up on the ShakeSharp-inspired Kickstarter (under any name is fine by me), but is there really a lot of clamor for a Darwin handle? I have to admit that it appeals to me, but in a novelty kind of way. Have you used one?

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Darwin's are way out of my price range, (as are Apollo Red Rings and Gillette Toggles) but the handle is the one thing that those who are lucky enough to own one all rave about.

I'd be surprised if more than 10 people on TSD own a Darwin. There's probably 100 on B&B.