Possible closure of Personna??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Jun 6, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I figured the price out for mine. It was about 7 cents a blade +$50 for the rack. And yes, that was a great price for new old stock of the last carbon blade Gillette ever made. It would be years before Gillette made a stainless blade to compare to the old stainless Wilkinson Swords.

Douglas Carey, macaronus and Rufus T. like this.
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

That certainly makes sense to me! I'm assuming that you found them some time ago. That was a deal like none other based on the rack that @Darkbulb just found. Took a look at the bay and found a post for a rack of 1000 for $1500. !!!

Something tells me prices have really inflated!

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I agree that the posted price on that ad is on the very high/over-end of the pricing scale but it's also completely different blades and this particular blade model does have a certain 'following' with many claiming it was one of the best blades ever made. Me, I have no idea as I've never tried one :)

What would I personally pay for a thousand of them with the rack? Probably around $300 but then again I'm pretty cheap.

4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

AhHa, completely missed the different blade aspect. Still pretty steep me thinks.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I agree.

Edit: For every blade that gets discontinued, I've found at least one other blade that is comparable. When all else fails, a change in razors will also change blade characteristics.

Honestly, as cheap as blades are and as little space as they take up, if your favorite blade is in current production, it makes sense to spend a couple hundred dollars to get a lifetime supply. No reason not to.

I'm sure there are many members here who honestly have more blades than they can ever use in one lifetime. I've got about 2,000 blades in a shirt box. That's easily 40 years worth of blades at 1 blade per week. Astra's last me about two weeks with shaving every other day, and I can resharpen carbon blades to get a month or more per blade.

*note to self: I can stop buying blades now.*

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This is all very cool. But, it don't think I'll be lucky enough to acquire a rack of Gillette blades.

However, I just ordered 400 personnas just in case.

PLANofMAN and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Amazing! Thanks. Did you like the blades?

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Absolutely. I tend to prefer Teflon or platinum coated blades, so these were right up my alley. The Teflon coating gives these a smoothness that most carbons lack. Of course, right after these came out, Wilkinson Sword perfected the stainless DE blade which was a commercial success and Gillette was forced to evolve or die. They eventually bought the stainless blade process from Wilkinson, and carbon blades were left behind.

I also collected DE blade sharpening/honing/stropping tools and razors, and the super blues are ideal for testing these. Most are gimmicks and don't work well with modern carbon blades. They were designed for the old three hole thick Gillette blades. I had limited success with the Stanford 5 second sharpener and great success with the later model Shake Sharp razors.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Have you ever tried one of these BlueBeard things? I got it in a razor-lot some time ago. It seems to be in great condition and work but haven't actually tried using it to sharpen a blade.
    [​IMG]

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting, I've never seen one of those before. You should try it out and report back. :)

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Decided to err on the side of caution and ordered 500 injector blades. Figure with what I have on hand, I'm good for about 10 years.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I just finished getting 100 GEM stainless PTFE blades, including shipping, for $30 CAD. considering I get between 10 and 15 shaves per blade..... I think I'm good for a while....that's approximately 4 years of 365 day a year shaving.....

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ugh, I didn't think of that. Personna owns GEM right?
    I could live w/out Personna branded blades....but I need my GEM SS PTFE blades.
    I feel like a Doomsday prepper but I might actually order 100 GEMs as well from Connaught...just in case.

jakie55 likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just ordered a tray of 100 GEM SS Coated blades from Connaught...just in case.
    With shipping: $23

Omelmad, jakie55 and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

So cheap haha

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of all Personna blades and carts but I refuse to jump off a cliff for their remaining stock. I'll find another manufacturer that is a US ally, it It won't be a Russian or Chinese manufacturer for sure.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ironic considering both were our allies during WWII. When it comes to shaving, I try to ignore borders. There are too many great shaving items out there for me to bring politics into it.

My daily shave generally uses an American razor, a Russian blade, a Japanese bowl, a Hungarian shave cream, a Portuguese brush, and an Indian after shave. :)

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny, I often view my den as a micro-UN (but more efficient) :)

Many of my favorite razors are American or French.
    I love Russian blades
    Best soaps I've tried are from Norway, Italy and the US.
    My brushes comes from US, France and China.
    I then splash on some aftershave from India, France, USA or Spain :)

Douglas Carey and jakie55 like this.
  19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    LOL! Meanwhile Canada is back there somewhere...

Douglas Carey and jakie55 like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, yes can't forget about the Wolf ey?

Douglas Carey and Metro like this.