Prè de Provence No. 63 Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Sabre, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It's like buses, you wait for ever for a new French shaving soap and then three turn up at once. I have seen the release of the new No 63 range with its brushless cream, but after just surfing the web I have seen they have released a shaving soap version too! There are a few mentions on another forum. It appears to be hard to find...

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, PatrickA51 and clint64 like this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Where can you find this? All search results come up with everything but.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It is listed on Amazon as awaiting stock, on here and on another forum posters have picked it up in local stores in Oregon and Alaska.
    Maybe it has just be launched? I shall email European Soaps to find out more....

BigMark likes this.
  4. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

I tried the original and it just did not work for me. Did not seem to stay slick between passes.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I ordered a tin today from Maggard Razor.

bnccna2 and theFAT98 like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Pre de Provence soaps can be finicky lather-makers. One needs to really work them with the right amount of water and brush- not unlike MWF at times, although I find the MWF lather more substantial. PdP bath soaps are exceptional but I have not found the shave soaps to be on the same high level compared with other French shave soaps.

TheFiveO and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. BigMark

One would think the French would make top shelf HBC items and the Germans good blades, maybe not.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Germans do make excellent blades and the French are master soap makers but not all are equal. L'Occitane Cade, and MdC are a notch above.

9. BigMark

DE blades Kevin , not straights .

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ohhhhh,......what are those? ;)

BigMark likes this.
  11. BigMark

This is probably a far stretch but are there any tallow based French soaps.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

None that I'm aware of—but check out the Italians (Valobra, Cella, P160) if you've a hankerin' for quality beef fat soaps!

BTW: I forgot to mention Le Pére Lucein (LPL) in my list of superior French soaps.

13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I love the original so im thinking of getting this one.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Btw, the soap is now readily available at at least Bullgoose's site.

theFAT98 likes this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Bolzano Superinox are made in Germany. Mighty fine blade IMHO.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's great to hear....I just ordered some LPL...and XPEC....and Mike's.... :rolleyes:

17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I just got mine from Maggard's today. it smells amazing and I cant wait to try it out. I haven't tried the other one so I have nothing to compare it to

bnccna2 likes this.
  18. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I find original PdP soap to be excellent, but when I tried the new No. 63 cream I was very disappointed.

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I just tried no.63 today. I love the scent but its hard to describe. scent seems to be a personal thing and everyone has their own idea of what smells good. the performance was quite good. no problem making lather out of it.

20. BigMark

Could have been bad technique so I got a pack of Wilkies coming to try out in my Krona. Maybe I will try Bolzano and Elios later on.