Pre de Provence?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mitch, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

PdP is a bit finicky when it comes to lathering. If I use my Omega 11137, which is not fully broken in, I can't get much lather no matter what I do. My Muhle HJM with almost no water will lather it up like a champ, but just a little too much water and WHAM! No lather. If you figure out the water ratio and get a good brush working on it then the PdP is awesome, you just have to give it a chance to perform.

2. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Yep, not as easy to lather as Tabac but it's a wonderful scent.

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I have the cream and ASB. I always have to fortify the cream with a pump of KMF, otherwise the cream is too thin for what I use it for. Please understand, my mug and brush are in the shower with me for my entire shower and I am lathering two underarms and two legs (from ankle to top of thigh). The cream alone is too dry so I have to add the KMF.

I do enjoy the ASB, it has a light scent and is very hydrating for my legs.

I have not used the soap.

4. Sunflake

You might want to try the soap Shawna! I have read people saying that the cream is not that good but the soap is. I certainly agree with that.

5. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

it's goooood. hard to lather correctly but nary a nick and closer than close.very light scent. I know I'm new but it seems to be working out that that's a soap thing. harder to lather than creams, give more protection and less nicks. lighter in scent. All I know is it's the best all arounder I have, so far. Proraso red soap, erasmic stic, and Shave Den lanolin on the way.

6. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I just put this on the counter to use again after seeing this thread pop up.

7. Sunflake

Sounds like me LOL! With MdC, Tabac, Sir Irisch Moos, La Toja, Proraso Green and Red, Klar Kabinett and Mike's Lime. Throw Pre de Provence in there and I haven't had time to really figure out this soaps sweet spot. All I know is that trying to figure this stuff out I already know that I love the smell and performance is going to be there. I REALLY wish they made a AS splash that smelled like the soap. My skin just doesn't like balms. When I first found it in a local store, one sniff and I had to take it home.

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

yep, it's tricky to get a good lather. used it this morning with some degree of difficulty but a high degree of satisfaction.

9. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Pre de Provence yet but it sounds like the scent might be similar to Myrsol Agua Balsamica. The Myrsol is a lavender , rosemary and thyme scent. I'm thinking it may be close/compatible to the Pre de Provence. The problem would be finding a sample without having to buy first, the only place I know of that it's available locally is NYC.

10. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

so i just traded someone...i gave 150grams worth of shaving sticks and i received this PdP 150 gram puck in return. so far i've use pre de provence twice...once for a face shave and once for a head shave. I think this soap is great! thick lather and the scent reminds me of air fresheners that have a Fresh scent. lather was slick too....when i bowl lathered and tried to scoop up all the lather, some stuck to the sides of the bowl due to slickness. some lather wipes easily and cleanly off the bowl sides but the better soaps seem to be tough to sweep of the bowl. Scent didnt linger after the shave but boy did my skin feel soft afterwards....must be all that shea butter. seems that a puck like this should last 6-8 months since its kinda hard.
    overall i am pleased with the trade.

11. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

Excellent soap. been using for around 5 shaves now and am going to buy another tin.