Pre-Shave Oil, Shave Cream, Shave Soap?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rodriguez, May 19, 2016.

1. Rodriguez

Rodriguez New Member

Hi,

I recently started shaving with a safety razor - it's a rather hefty, though mild Muhle that I got for Christmas. I use the Kai razor blades and a regular shave cream by Avalon Organics (I'm one of 'those') that was probably the best shaving cream when I used a cartridge razor.

For some reason I feel like I've been getting a rough, difficult shave - maybe it's because I'm something of a beginner, but I wonder if I should change my routine - is using a pre-shave oil before applying shaving cream advisable? Is shaving soap necessary when using a safety razor?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

Most likely it is your technique as a new wet shaver...practice, practice, practice. Pre-shave oils can help with glide and irritation, but technique does trump tools. I would also suggest getting a blade sampler and trying different blades. I have tried Kai blades and found them to be a bit rough, but everyone's skin and beard is different.

Welcome to TSD.

Tdmsu, AGHisBBS and lance3114 like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There are so many variables in wet shaving, it could be the blade, soap/cream, technique, etc. It may be a good idea to try a few different products, so you can see how the performance varies and find what works best for you. My first few wet shaves were terrible, but with time you learn to use different pressure than with a cartridge.

Tdmsu, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1 on the blade sampler.
    Lather is absolutely necessary. Now how you get that, beit from a puck of soap, a tub or tube of cream or from *shudder* a can, that's up to you.
    Most of us do not use canned "goo" for two reason, 1) all the chemicals and B) it's just a whole lot more fun and "luxurious" to use a brush and whip up a lather with soap or cream.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

By a "rough, difficult shave", do you mean one or more of the following:
    the razor seems to be working ineffectively
    you think the razor is "skipping" over areas
    the razor seems to drag
    the razor just isn't cutting the whiskers all over your face
    the razor just isn't cutting the whiskers on certain parts of your face
    your face is irritated after a shave

Soap, contrary to what some will say is not NECESSARY. Is it advised? Yes!
    You can shave without any soap or water if you wish. Or, simply add water to your face. But, unless you have tougher skin than most of us, lack of a decent soap will cause irritation. There are some "brushless" soaps, such as Pre de Provence (the shea butter one in the metal tube) that do not lather and aren't designed to lather. Instead of lathering, they merely moisturize the beard and add slickness.

Soap has two purposes, IMHO:
    Moistens the whiskers so that they become stiffer and therefore easier to cut
    Lubricate the skin so the razor slides over it and therefore has less irritation
    Pre-shave oils are designed to assist in these two areas. Try it and see if it makes a difference for you. Either run to an AOS outlet and grab a couple of sample, or run out to the local store and make your own (there are lots of links on this board for how to make your own pre-shave oil).

Tdmsu and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Blade sampler, facial mapping, technique, technique.....

AGHisBBS and lance3114 like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Technique is, of course, very important. As to pre-shave products, it can't hurt to try some. Personally, I love pre-shave oil, but that doesn't mean you will. You will have to try things for yourself, because only your own skin can tell you.

AGHisBBS and swarden43 like this.
  8. lance3114

lance3114 Member

Just keep experimenting by changing one variable at a time. Beard mapping is huge. For me finding a smooth blade and using an alcohol aftershave really improved the quality of my shaves, gaining experience inevitability helped as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez New Member

Yeah, I am the #1 detractor of stuff I don't recognize in products generally speaking, here's the shaving cream I've been using and I would be sad to depart from.

It feels 'rough' in that it glides less easily. It definitely cuts hairs well and doesn't skip over areas - no irritation. I was told that the Kai blades aren't platinum-coated and this accounts for some of the roughness I was describing. I do have a gilette platinum and my experience is that it was much less rough/ smoother. I definitely would not say that Gillette Platinum is a closer shave, but I might experiment with them more.

Thanks, I did get a pre-shave oil from Art of Shaving and I'm probably going to try it.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

This has been an issue I dealt with. So many new-to-me products that I used something different nearly every shave. If you can discipline yourself to only change one thing that gives the ability to make the informed decision.
    I looked at the shave cream you linked. While the big letters do say "Organic", I'd have to look up many of the contents to know what they are or how they help your shave. Amongst them I see several oils that are know irritants. I'm not saying anything is bad, but just being organic doesn't make it good.
    If you are seeking alternative soaps, use that search box. Folks discuss the topic endlessly. If you don't find answers, start a new thread or continue here. You are sure to get opinions, advice, & maybe actual information!

Tdmsu and lance3114 like this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Great. Let us know how it comes out. It does sound like a slickness issue to me, which should be helped by a pre-shave oil.

Robyflexx likes this.