Preferred Shave Bowls & Why?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Biglou, Mar 25, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

old reliable. mechanic proof.dropped many times....i think its a finger bowl.second hand store $1 20180419_222101.jpg

RyX and Enrico like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1018.jpg

Found this in an antique store for $3 a few years back. Recognize it's form?

Cheers, Steve

Enrico and RyX like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1019.jpg

Let me give you a hint....

Cheers, Steve

Enrico and RyX like this.
  4. oldbean56

oldbean56 Member

Sorry to add this a bit late.......but where I live I have to get most of my kit from the UK or mainland Spain. My absolute favourite bowl is this handmade pottery one from Scotland. The grooves in the bottom result in an easy to whip up lather and we suffer BAD here with the water as it is desalinated! esc008326-a.jpg

Enrico, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good looking bowl! Wide enough to contain lather, yet shallow for ease of agitation.
    I use one in a similar shape, different texture inside. Japanese kitchen appliance call a suribachi. They can be found on the cheap yet work so well.

Brickman301, Frijolero and oldbean56 like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I use my Aesop bowl daily, either simply to soak my brush, or, as I did today, create my lather. BTW, Aesop is offering free shipping on their bowl ($25) until June 15.
    WFWql5t.jpg

MntnMan62, oldbean56 and RyX like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here's the Aesop in action. Easy to hold. Sides are at an angle that allows good whipping, while not overflowing. Simple, attractive, non-breakable.
    iHWivTb.jpg

oldbean56 and RyX like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_1117.JPG
    Timeless bowl makes mounds of lather so effortlessly that sadly in the end I probably had enough for 3 or 4 more passes, that went to waste.

RyX, oldbean56 and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

That's the part of the telephone that you hold up to your ear.

10. Rusty blade

Yup...melted glass.

11. Rusty blade

As for shaving bowl... I often just use an OS mug, but I also have a vintage restaurant coffee cup with a wide mouth that is pretty hefty and great for building a lather.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I tried OS mugs. They hold a puck well to load but I find them too small to stir up a good lather. Clanking against the pottery or glass with a Rubberset 400 type brush could lead to damaging the receptacle (ie : container). For face lathering OS mugs ought to be fine. Still prefer my 4-5 inch diameter Suribachi bowls. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Linuxguile, oldbean56 and Brickman301 like this.
  13. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Great idea, Ive never heard of these before and I spent some time today looking at them online. What size diameter do you prefer?

RyX and oldbean56 like this.
  14. oldbean56

oldbean56 Member

RyX mentioned one to me earlier and I thought the same and bought a 4.5 inch one to try for a few £££...........works awesome for me. Sits in the hand a treat and deep enough not to lose half your lather!
    Thanks for the tip RyX :happy096:

RyX, Linuxguile and Brickman301 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Depending on the size of your hand, 4 to 6 inch diameter. They are deep enough to hold and contain three or four passes worth of lather.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Brickman301 and oldbean56 like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've used an Asian rice bowl and it works very well.

RyX and oldbean56 like this.
  17. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Excellent bowl. I think the ridges help "beat up" the ends of boar bristles and speed up the break in process. Placing your thumb on the raised protrusion with the compass rose logo helps you hang onto it while creating your lather. Enjoy.

oldbean56 likes this.
  18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use a plastic salsa bowl that I got from Grocery Outlet for 99 cents.

Clayton[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Hembree, Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I have several bowls that I use regularly. The four that I like the most and that see the most action are these.

A larger ceramic hand thrown bowl with deep swirls in the bottom for building lather and an indent to rest the brush. Another ceramic hand thrown bowl that is smaller, round, deeper and smooth inside. Both are mad by Creek Road Pottery.

A Turkish hammered copper and tin cup.

A Crown King travel scuttle that is made out of plastic so if I drop it I won’t be picking up shards of glass all over the bathroom and from my shins.

I would post pics but I keep getting an error message saying the “file is too large”. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

Frijolero, RyX and Enrico like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD has an uploaded file size limit on 1mb. Using your phone as a camera, try adjusting the resolution down. You can also text it to yourself where it may be reduced in size to fit your carriers whim. Using aftermarket Apps, there may be options to save as a different file type - GIF is good because it limits color count to 256, thereby reducing overall file size while maintaining large detailed image size. The Tapatalk app will automatically reduce the file size to acceptable limits.
    If you want to play around and experiment go to Post Testing forum. Be aware that anything you post is visible to others and will receive comments. Shenanigans Happen.

Frijolero likes this.