preshave oil recipes

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by RABIDMONKEY, Oct 4, 2010.

1. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Im currently using Shavesecret and yes it works and is dirt cheap at wally world sigh but dont like the scent . My friend she owns a spa and has some experiance with making her own massage oil and feels she is upto the challenge of a preshave oil ( lime, fig and a little spice ) but i need some recipes to sorta use as a base . Thanks guys from a newbie here

2. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

I recently bought some Oscar Natural shave oils: Regular and Sensitive.

From the ingredients list, the unscented base seems to be grapeseed oil, meadowfoam seed oil, vitamin E and jojoba oil. The other oils are aromatics, but with other useful properties (lavender oil, tea tree oil, blue gum oil, menthol etc.)

You could try shaving with the massage oil as a test; my guess is it will be a bit too thick (viscous) and possibly not scented enough given the very small amounts used. If the Shave Secret oil isn't too aromatic, you could try adding a drop or two of essential/aromatic oil to it to change the scent.

Good luck!

3. RABIDMONKEY

thanks

Yeah, dead on with the massage oil to thick and lacking enough scent so many oils to use as a base .We got awhile to play with oils before november when all my bday shave equipment comes ..... so far i have some almond oil, grapeseed oil .castor oil( healing) for base

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I found a recipe online that was simply 2 parts castor oil and 1 part EV olive oil.

5. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

The commercial shave oil recipes are all over the board as far as oil choices go. Most seem to contain one or more of the lighter weight oils like grapeseed, safflower, sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, etc but many also include thicker oils like olive. Castor oil is extremely thick and isn't usually used in shave oil recipes...the recipe above is the classic recipe for the Oil Cleaning Method of using a little oil followed by several hot towel treatments to clean your face (it really works).

Oil choices are all completely subjective as far as preference goes. I usually end up buying 2 or 3 small bottles of whatever looks interesting of the available oils at my grocery store, and they usually have a wider selection in the organic beauty area or organic cooking area for some reason. If you want to make a decision based on the particular skin benefits of different oils you can google up several sites like this one: http://www.soaperschoice.com/soapoils/. I usually have several small bottles of different light oils that I use independently but I also will mix up a single 3 or 4 ounce bottle with several kinds...for example, if I have 3 different oils I usually just fill the mix bottle 1/3rd the way with each. If I decide I want a scent I'll add a few drops of essential oil until it smells about right. The scents I have tried are peppermint, lime, spearmint eucalyptus, maybe one or two more. I tend to use the peppermint most as it kind of wakes me up when I use it. When I first discovered shave oils my favorite brand cost $15 for a single ounce bottle...and all it contained was decolorized safflower oil and a little scent. One of the more expensive brands was charging much more for their tiny bottle of unprocessed olive oil with zero scent. I found I can approximate my favorites or make an interesting mixture for pennies, get the same shaving benefits, and save a ton of money! Hope that helps!

6. RABIDMONKEY

awesome thanks it does

7. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I used the popular 2/1 castor-olive blend for about a year and that worked well. Then I read a thread a few months back that someone was recommending 1/1 castor-grapeseed. I was already a fan of grapeseed as a preventor of neck irritation, so I tried it and now that has become my favorite blend.

To "supercharge" the above I add a couple drops of TSD M-Bomb in my hand to a dime sized drop of the "blend." Something in the M-Bomb causes the mix to whiten when applied to the beard. Aside from the great menthol action, I am convinced this somehow improves oil and shaving performance. Of course, I could just be intoxicated by the menthol.

BeShaved likes this.
  8. mikec727

mikec727 New Member

i just mixed up a batch of 1/3 grapeseed , 1/3 olive oil , 1/3 castor oil and a couple drops of lavender oil. Walmart has some nice bottles in the travel section in cosmetics.

BeShaved, fishcrow and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Right now I am using 1 part castor oil to 3 parts jojoba. I like the feel and slickness. For a 4-ounce bottle, I add 2 teaspoons of scent (e.g. Lavender EO or Bay Rum FO.) When I use up my stash of jojoba oil, I will need to try others, as the price has gone through the roof.

BeShaved likes this.
  10. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I used 1 bottle of shave secret.....1tbs of olive oil.....1/2 tbs castor oil......1tsp vitamin e oil...and a few drops of lemon verbena essential oil and a pinch of powdered alum.......I put it in a tiny old school blue medicine bottle with a cork.....looks nostalgic and helps the shave in a big way for me!

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Does the alum dissolve in oil?

12. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

You know I didnt even pay attention lol I was pouring it all in a empty water bottle and just shook it around to mix it before I poured it into my medicine bottle...but when I use the oil I have no chunks or anything and its not grainy what so ever so I guess it did...if not then maybe I didnt even use enough to make much of a difference because I only put a pinch in quite a bit of oil so my guess is its gone because its not floating in my bottle. My guess would be that it does disslove because I put alum in all my shave soaps I make but I add it to the oils as I am heating them...so if it works then ...then why not in a preshave oil? Im not a soap master by any means but thats my experience with it....

13. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I know that this is a silly question because I am totally new on this subject.
    Are those oils (castor oil, olive oil, etc) the same that you found on your kitchen? or I have to buy them from chemical stores?

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They are the household oils.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  15. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

For essential oil, can I use aroma therapy oil that you use on a burner?

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I wouldn't. Probably not skin safe. But I've been wrong before

BeShaved likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Check the label first; it may specify whether or not it is skin-safe. If it is a pure essential oil, there is a good chance it's skin-safe, but even then, it's not a given. If there is no info on the label, the next step is a Google search.

BeShaved likes this.