Pressure - King of good shaves?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jun 22, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

The mantra is always NO PRESSURE!! , so that's how I've been shaving ever since.

However, the other day I saw a post here that a little pressure is good, else tugging can/will be present. And yes, often I get tugging and I had noticed that the less pressure, the more tug.

So the past few shaves I've tried to apply pressure. Just a little amount, very carefully weighed. Shaves have been good! Less tugging, no irritation, still BBS smooth shaves. The pressure I apply is for a newbie NO PRESSURE-weight, as everything is relative and if using the pressure from cartridges, I'd have no skin. But I guess a little pressure does no harm. I'd estimate 25% more than the weight of the Weber it self. It has been golden for me! The Astra SP which I thought did not perform so well in the Weber has turned out to be shining using just that tiny amount of pressure.

What do you experience in that regard?

Slow Joe likes this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Depends on the type of razor. I can apply pressure with my Tech or Krona, but I would never try it with my Fatip, MMOC, or my Ever-Ready 1924.

dscaver likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

But what is "no pressure" - is it holding the razor so the weight is evened out, so it's only a feather touch. Or is "no pressure" just letting the razor's weight do the job?

I've always wondered that. The Weber is quite heavy compared to the Tech. Also - misjudged the pressure needed and it will bite. I'd never be able to manually apply pressure when I first got it.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've never been able to "use the weight of the razor". It seems guiding the blade myself works best for me.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

When I first started wet shaving with a DE I couldn't figure the pressure thing out until several months had gone by and I eventually developed a "feel" for the blade and the particular razor I was using. I think it actually helped that I started with a fairly aggressive razor and Feather brand blades because both kept me from using too much pressure until my skill developed by administering a regular reminder that I was running a surgically sharp piece of steel over my face. I remember reading posts of others and not understanding their descriptions of the feedback their shaves were giving them until one day the light eventually came on for me. The major difference has been learning to vary an extremely light and nuanced stroke versus forcefully scraping my face with a multi-blade cartridge.

maltedmilk likes this.
  6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I've recently found that holding the razor just below the head gives you a better feel of how much pressure you use and minimize the risk of razor burn. It's like using a socket wrench - the further down the handle you hold it, the more power you are able to transfer to the tool, and i think you subconsciously use more pressure when you hold the razor by the end of the handle

Slow Joe and tuxxdk like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I tend to hold my razors near the head also. I use light pressure. It works great.

PatrickA51 and BigMark like this.
  8. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Now that gives me something to try, I too hold my razor closer to the head.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Light pressure is almost always recommended for those new to wet-shaving—and usually coming from a world of cartridge-shaving where more pressure is often necessary.
    Once one is familiar with the way a particular razor shaves, I say go ahead and apply as much pressure as you're comfortable with, so long as you're not generating excessive irritation as a result.
    When I started with straight razors, I applied the same reasoning as with DE shave: very light pressure. This approach, however, doesn't yield the same positive results as it does with a double-edge. I found out you have to apply a good amount of pressure with the blade whiles stretching the skin to get the desired result. Light pressure with a straight simply causes the blade to get hung up, nick or slice as it skims across your face—not an ideal situation. ;)

PatrickA51 and Tattoobob like this.
  10. tuxxdk

I've found, that "no pressure" to someone new is actually too much pressure because it's not "no pressure" but just a whole lot less pressure than they're used to. It's all relative.

maltedmilk likes this.
  11. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Certain spots on my head require a little pressure to get as smooth as I'd like. So far no irritation.

Tattoobob likes this.
  12. tuxxdk

This also reminds me, from when I first got the Weber. I shaved using only the weight itself - then I tried my Tech after a while, using only the weight again.. skip skip skip. That weight alone is not enough!

So depending on the razor, more or less pressure. As far as I've encountered. So if the razor is heavy enough, zero pressure will suffice. But with a light razor as a Tech, one must apply a little weight.

Adonis likes this.
  13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, a fresh and sharp blade (3 and out), and good soap/lather, goes a long way in reducing tugging.

14. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I wonder how @BigMark did with his pressure experiment.

15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Not good. No weepers that I can remember but I did give myself a nasty little cut.

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I think that this is the point. Pressure on the head of the razor can be adjusted by changing where you place your fingers on the handle. Generally, the higher you place your fingers on the handle, the less pressure you'll get from the razor itself and you'll be able to control how much pressure you use.

Bristle Me and Slipperyjoe like this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I don't know how important it is to most DE shavers but when I used a DE daily I thought it was a balancing act between skin stretching and pressure. Then throw in a couple more wild cards, your lather and blade sharpness, it just muddies the water again. This is just my opinion but I think slickness in a shaving soap should be close to the top of requirements that we're looking for, it covers many of our errors. I'm not advocating it or picking on it, despite it's many flaws William, is such an effective soap. It has slickness in spades. Sorry for the ramble.

18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I agree with oscar11. I've really been noticing lately that slick lather makes everything else work better and a soap/cream that's lacking in slickness makes it just about impossible to get really great results.

19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Oscar11 and feeltheburn. The slicker your lather is makes it feel like you are pull on glass.

20. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Kevin
    That's very well put. I don't use a Straight Razor because of the problems with my hands, but if you think about what you are saying it's very true.