Price

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchase a quality SR I am overwhelmed by pricing and all the variables. What determines the price of a quality SR? What are your recommendations?

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I defer to the experts. :cool:

Spyder and Marine68 like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

There are very many people here better qualified to answer this, but in the face of the same overload, I decided the Maggards house brand seemed appealing as a first quality SR. They look nice, seemingly quality materials , 6/8 quarter hollow; between 100-200 bucks for what’s its worth. ( I think the prices are a little higher now.)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Spyder and Marine68 like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Your question is much to vague. Would you prefer vintage or new? What is you budget? I’ve paid as little as $5 and more than 20 times that. Answer those two questions and we can start pointing you in the right direction, And you can get perfectly good shavers on each end of the spectrum and anywhere in between:)

jeraldgordon, Enrico and Marine68 like this.
  5. Marine68

I would prefer vintage. I would pay up to $150.00 for the right blade.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You can get a very very nice vintage razor for that kind of $. Go to the classifieds . Adam aka @Drygulch has a bunch of Straights for sale. See if anything there tickles your fancy.

Zykris, Billyfergie, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

Zykris, Drygulch and Spyder like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup listen to @Spyder (gawd I almost never say THAT) Adam has some nice stuff forsale.

Drygulch, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:taunt002::taunt002:

Zykris, GarnerPW, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  10. Marine68

I looked nothing grabbed me.

Drygulch and Spyder like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:cool::D

Spyder likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

There is just so much out there, what is it you are looking for, a large old Sheffield steel? or some American steel?

A quality vintage razor can be had for less than your target. The money starts go up for 'popular' names, large blades and based on condition.

Let us know what style trips your trigger.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

eBay is a real crap shoot if you don’t know what your doing. Maggard’s sells some vintage, Stirling sells some. RocTraitor on Reddit sells a lot of razors. Any of these three are a safe bet to get yourself a shaveable blade.

**Added - The razors Stirling sells come from RocTraitor. But their listings/stock are different, so it’s worth looking at both.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Size ??
    Grind??
    Country of Origin ???

I have quite a few blades laying around in the shop for way less than that and some for way more

But you have to give us some help here on what you are after and don't forget you will need a strop

15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I know you said vintage but Hart Steel has some decent new razors of various types available at Classic Shaving and frequently go on sale. I bought one and it had a nice shave ready edge out of the box and is very well made. I paid $110. A decent strop will run $50-$100 and is a necessity.

Keithmax and Marine68 like this.
  16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I recommend you find a good straight shaving "mentor" here and pick his/her brains. Try to narrow your parameters as you gain knowledge to find what will work for you at this time. Happy hunting.

Redfisher, DaltonGang and Marine68 like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good advice. Many shavers, many opinions.

18. Marine68

Wow why don't you show me what you got. Thank you

19. Marine68

Thank you good idea.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  20. Marine68

I really appreciate all the info it is all overwhelming size grind shape etc ... I just want to shave. I know I am a beginner and should take steps learn technique and pay my dues in cuts and blood however I am not afraid of cuts or blood. I feel technique evolves with trial and error. My first DE shave was a Fat Boy with a Feather blade. I have tried a coupe other blades but my go to is still a feather. That being said I am not afraid to go all in.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.