Princeton U endowment

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by RetLEO-07, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

IPO means they are owners? They are working for more than wages, and likely have professional degrees....

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

All the Ivies are similar. I went to Cornell University. Their endowment is way up there and they charge more than Princeton - $50,953 for tuition per year and then you figure another $16,000 for books, housing, food et al.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I fully agree with Chris.

I'm a recently retired Baby Boomer. I worked for 32 years in chemical manufacturing. It's widely known in that industry that Baby Boomers are retiring from skilled trades roles (welders, pipe fitters, mechanics, heavy equipment operators, electricians, instrument and automation techs, etc.) faster than they are being replaced. There is a shortage of qualified workers. It has created a huge opportunity for young folks entering the workforce with skilled trades certifications. The work is honorable, challenging, and very well-paying.

I know skilled tradesmen that have opportunities to travel and work internationally for their companies. Most receive continuing education, certification, and opportunities for specialization throughout their careers. That, combined with their experience, makes them even more valuable to their employers as their careers progress.

Industries are finally beginning to come into classrooms and introduce skilled trades career opportunities to students, often beginning in middle school and continuing through high school. There's certainly a place for roles that require a University education, but the world also needs skilled labor.

4. wristwatchb

I wouldn't stand in the way of anyone following their dreams, but realistically, the chances of this happening for most people are very slim indeed.

I don't believe that true, enduring happiness is somehow related to someone's level of education, wealth, or career success.

PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

For the last 8-10 months, my son has been getting five or six emails a day from headhunters looking to slot him into jobs with Fortune 500 companies

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have been trying to hire semi-skilled to skilled workers for months, at competitive + wages, and I can’t find enough good help. When a kid gets out of college, he doesn’t want to pick up a shovel, even if the shovel pays a lot more than the grail job he seems to feel entitled to, but can’t seem to find. This has caused the cost of construction labor to climb, but there is still a shortage. It is a good time to be blue collar.

Bama Samurai, Keithmax and RetLEO-07 like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

But, but,...college :)

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

True happiness, IMHO, is a spiritual construct that exists independently of one's physical life conditions. Self-actualization plays a role, so do things like religious faith (or similar grounded beliefs) and the ties of family, very intimate friends, and our domestic animals.

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I had the chance to dance with Brook Shields at Princeton after a dance show she was performing in with a friend back when I lived in Jersey.
    Steve

Keithmax and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Interesting article but I am not clear on how it relates to this thread.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. RetLEO-07

Earlier we were lamenting the fact that the newer members of the workforce think that college is the only route to prosperity. As you know, the trades can also lead to a fulfilling, lucrative life.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, I understand now. Thank you for clarifying.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  14. wristwatchb

3.jpg

15. RetLEO-07