Problem with my Gillette Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tiredricefarmer, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

The first pic is normal. IMG_0036.JPG When I shake it to get the water off the handle separates. IMG_0038.JPG
    Is this an easy fix or should I just be careful with it and not worry?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

A tiny amount of epoxy would fix it. Or use a third party handle...

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yep epoxy will work, have done a couple like that. I just make sure the loose end is on the bottom while keeping it straight up. This will allow the epoxy to to end up on the neck to have a better hold.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs2.png

5. Tiredricefarmer

Dont have epoxy, would Gorilla Glue be ok? If not I can pick up some epoxy tomorrow

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    GG won't work. Get some epoxy and you will be fine.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well, let me rephrase that. GG does make an epoxy. That will work, but what is generally called GG works on wood mostly. They also make a super glue, but I would not use that either.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Another option is to have the razor replated and let the plating "glue" the handle together. If you would consider to replate it, don't pollute it with epoxy.

9. Tiredricefarmer

10-4. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! If you guys need anything, and I mean anything, let me know.....and I'll try to find somebody to help you! :rofl::happy093::happy108::rofl: Lol, kidding. Thanks a lot, I owe you guys one! :happy088:

GarnerPW likes this.
  10. Tiredricefarmer

I have actually considered that, but I'm really digging the patina this one has. I love that antique look.

11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Looks like you probably have a crack in the handle tube. Repairing it alters the originality of the razor (but, you are using it, so that probably doesn't matter). Look really closely for a hairline crack in the handle tube. They are sometimes hard to find. For all of mine that had cracks, I used some golf shafting epoxy to repair the crack first and then pressed or glued the threaded collet back on. I pretty much used the following procedure:
    Repair old Gillette handles.

I glued a brass tube inside mine.
    IMG_1893 (1).jpg IMG_1898 (1).jpg IMG_1900 (1).jpg
    You might just want glue the collet on and call it good.

jimjo1031 and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Tiredricefarmer

You scared me there for minute. Got the magnifying glass out and looked her over real good. Got a deep scratch at the top of the handle tube and a smaller one at the bottom that I never noticed before. Fortunately they are only scratches. Think I will just glue it back and call it a day. I am gonna check out that web site though. Thank you sir!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Cracked handle tubes are a really common problem with early Gillettes. I have only gotten one that wasn't cracked (out of about 5 or 6). I have one that is cracked, but you can't twist out the collet or the plug. So, that makes me think that it was repaired before I got it. I put the brass tube in to increase the weight and bolster the handle. It was probably overkill, but I like the new weight. It will also outlast me and brittle old epoxy will be someone else's problem in a hundred years or so.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you look through the posts, I did one specifically on Gillette handles and their quality control and engineering - or lack thereof. I'll update it more when I've managed to desolder one of the buggered up ones I purchased specifically because they were buggered up :)

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A good quality epoxy putty is what I prefer over the usual double-tube liquid. You can really pack it in and it doesn't need to set upright as it cures. I also suspect it'll hold longer than regular (which even that will probably outlive us all).

16. Tiredricefarmer

I've already picked up the marine epoxy but haven't fixed yet. Need to get it done. After shaving with it tonight it seemed to have loosened a bit. Probably the super slick Stirling Tuscany soap I was using made it seem that way! :cool: