Progress/Mergress long vs short handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

greetings everyone,
    I have a Merkur Progress long handle and I get great shaves on setting #3. I am really interested in the Mergress with the bronze knob but they are only available in the short handle.
    I was hoping to hear from those who have used both or went from one to the other. Any different in the shave?
    Thanks

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I don't know about the bronze knob, but i did love my progress. It has the short handle. Secondly, i have used almost a hundred different razors. That said, i am more comfortable using a shorter handled razor. Some say the longer accommodates larger handed people. This has not been my experience. I like the standard Gillette length. (3 inches). The 4 inch razors just seem like another factor to keep in mind, and adjust for.
    The 3 inch just feels more natural. Especially so when I'm doing a south to north pass. I've got an inverted pencil like grip that really lends well to a razor with a knob of some sort.
    Hope this helps.

Spud likes this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Yes very helpful David, many thanks. I hope life is returning to normal for you. Bullgoose sells the bronze knobed Mergress.