Progression to A Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Barrylu, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I have been hesitant to try a straight razor. Yet I am intrigued with the challenge. Currently, I am using a Cobra. I have a Feather Artist SS on order. My plan is to practice stropping and shaving with the SS. After my muscles learn the technique for straight shaving and stropping (I know you do not strop The Feather SS) I can then try a straight. If I am not satisfied with the Feather SS then I will re-evaluate the whole plan.

oscar11 likes this.
  2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new venture.

3. Barrylu

The thing that really concerns me is damage to my ears and nose. They are respectively my second and third favorite organs.

jeraldgordon and JRod22 like this.
  4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I never got into the straight razor thing. All the honing and stropping is just too much for me. Plus I would most likely lose an ear. lol

white_feather likes this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Barrylu, Enjoy the experience. Use a very light touch and good technique. You can get incredible shaves with a shavette or Feather style razor. Remember, light touch, especially ATG. I get the most personal satisfaction from using a conventional straight but I do enjoy shavettes occasionally.

Barrylu and Hanzo like this.
  6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Since tackling a str8t, I have noticed my safety razor technique has elevated. Now I actually bleed less with all razor forms.

Barrylu likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that the Feather system will be much sharper than you could ever get a regular straight to be, so slightly different technique will still be needed.

Barrylu and Hanzo like this.
  8. Barrylu

This makes sense.I am looking forward to it when I first started shaving I wanted to try a straight. My father nixed the idea and it is now 60 years later and I am going to do what I want finally.

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I Have been using a Straight Razor for a couple of months now, and love the shaves I'm getting with it, it is quite a steep learning curve, but definately worth the effort, just use the lightest of touches and take your time and be patient, you wont get good shaves straight away, not until you get your technique off pat, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.
    Enjoy the journey, and if you will pardon the pun,"don't stop believing"

Barrylu likes this.
  10. Barrylu

So far I have been disappointed with the SS. It has been far too mild. It leaves plenty of stubble. I have to go over the same area 3 and 4 times . The result of going over the same area 3 and 4 times has resulted in terrible razor burn. Varying the angle helped a bit. The more acute the angle the better the shave. Pressing harder with the blade did not result in any cuts. Rather pressing did cause the hairs to pull out of my face instead of being cut. Private communication with another list member revealed. The SS to be the least aggressive in the Feather Artist line. I have been coupling The SS with a Feather Pro Guard blade. The Pro Guard is also the least aggressive blade in the Feather line. We reasoned that perhaps this combination of razor and blade is simply too weak to achieve a good shave. He is currently sending me 2 of the most aggressive blades in the Feather line to try. In the meantime I have ordered a Dovo straight and a strop and am awaiting delivery. Perhaps I will not have to bother with the SS at all. Keep your eyes open . You might see a lightly used SS up for sale cheap soon.

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Which Dovo did you order?

12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I tried shaving with shavettes before I got brave enough to try straights and cut myself well and often. Straights are a lot safer and more fun to use for me...and they look a lot nicer. Recently I've tried the shavettes again and can do it without the cuts and can get close fairly fast. I used an old Weck hair shaper with the long Personna blades with the folded metal spine and the Parker that uses DE blades.

I'm sticking to straights with the occasional visit to the shavettes and DE's and SE's. I think the SE's can get just as close as the shavettes, even the Cobra, hybrid straight/SE.

13. Barrylu

ohpaos, Hanzo and Williams Warrior like this.
  14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Your liver being your favorite organ of all, of course...

ohpaos likes this.
  15. Barrylu

Not saying which. But my favorite structure is The Infundibulum. Not a terribly important structure but one that is fun to say. Try it say it 3 times fast.

16. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I use one of these on the weekend. My plan was to become proficient with the Feather DX and then move onto straights. At one or two uses per week, my stash of DX blades will last until 2014 and beyond.

[​IMG]

ohpaos likes this.
  17. Barrylu

My first shave with The Dovo. My wife pronounced it a success. She said, "It's a success if you didn't land in the Emergency Room." Did a WTG and XTG on my face and aWTG and ATG on my neck. Finished up my chin and lips with ATG with my Cobra. Result a nice shave with 2 small nicks. One nick on my neck and the other damned if I know how I did it. It was inside my nose. All and all a satisfying shave. Number 1 in my 100 shave learning curve. So far the Dovo outshines the Feather SS. But I haven't tried the SS with the new blades yet.

feeltheburn and Williams Warrior like this.
  18. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

+1

I find most blades from Feather and some from KAI a little too sharp, and I end up with a little razor burn. Only the KAI Mild Guard seems to be fairly benign, specially while doing touch ups.

With a traditional straight, I find that the sharpness level is a level/notch below the Feather/KAI, but that is a good thing for me, and I hardly ever get razor burn.

ohpaos likes this.
  19. Barrylu

So far I definately like the straight more than the Feather SS. I want to use the straight for a month before I go back to the Feather. I am using the same protocal a some one with a sample pack of DE blades. Todays shave was definately better than the first shave and my organs are intact.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: