Project idea: Clix open comb conversion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Oct 5, 2017.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

⚰️

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    gorgo2 likes this.
  2. BigMark83

Like watching a car wreck at the race track.

PanChango and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Probably.

BigMark83 and PanChango like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

1006172044-2124x1195.jpg
    As proof of concept, I'm satisfied it works. I bumped one side while Dremeling and knocked out a tooth so had to take out the opposite. But I took off most of my 3 week beard and it held up to the job.

What I learned,

1. Without significant reinforcement on the bottom (which I didn't do), the teeth of a plastic head cannot be cut thinly enough to allow for adequate whisker passage between the combs. This one has noticeably more drag than your usual OC but nothing that ruined the shave. I'm as perfectly BBS everywhere I shaved, just as if I'd used a NEW. I'll probably try to slice these teeth in half but it's a tossup whether the bakelite can take going that thin. If it can, it should shave as well as most any other OC. If it can't, oh well.

2. A metal bottom plate is perfect for doing this. No reinforcement will be needed for you to cut more and thinner teeth well under the blade (which is necessary), once the cleanouts are plugged with solder or whatever. Definitely a simple process which, once mastered, can bring new life and usefulness to many TTO and 3 piece razors.

(an open comb Blue Tip is an idea)

6. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

Ready to show the factory comb from a bakelite razor. Perhaps this is useful for you.
    002.jpg 001.jpg

gorgo2, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. BigMark83

Is the clix metal Zamak or brass ? I've read they are made of Zamak. I wouldn't mind trying a plastic one if that's the case. I've read there equal to a Tech. I'm not a huge fan of the Tech but I'd give that a try.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The one I have is thicker and heavier than a Tech head. I assume brass but don't know.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like Tennessee teeth. HA!

gorgo2 and BigMark83 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This is an interesting concept. Now if I could only find a Dollar Tree razor, I would give it a try.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

PM me, I'll pick one up for ya.

AlDm and Jim99 like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmm... I might take you up on that offer. I'm going to check Big Lots first before I bug you.

13. AlDm

AlDm Well-Known Member

[QUOTE = "gorgo2, post: 1327392, участник: 11244"] PM, я подберу тебя за тебя. [/ QUOTE]
    Some messages. For example, as yours. They require additional efforts. But I was able to translate and understand the meaning. )))

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

15. BigMark83

It would help more if you quoted the individual you were responding to.