Proper cleaning of old RAZOR??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8shvr, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

I just picked this little guy up at an antique store. It is a Gillette that says "made in USA" above the name and "reg US Pat Off" on the other side. It is adjustable and the top opens up instead of screwing off. First off how do I really clean off any grime/lime/gross other personess (personal quote;)) and buff it so at least the top is shiny again? Got this bad boy for 3 bucks and there were a few there!!!

I don’t know what actual style this is but it is adjustable does anybody know what # is the closest shave 1-9??

Attached Files:

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

some toothpaste with fluoride..spare "toothbrush"..scrub well in hot water..good as new!..my wife swears by this :D

ST

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Or something like Charlie's Soap. Use a toothbrush. Then some Maas for a nice shine on the barn doors and the handle.

It looks like you have a nice Fatboy there. The date codes on the bottom will tell you the year. As for the numbers, nine is pretty aggressive. I usually use somewhere between 7 and nine. Try starting off around three and work your way up.

Oh, and adjust the ring with the barn doors open. Less strain on the parts.

burnout961 likes this.
  4. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

Thanks! I didn't know it was even a "fat Boy" lol I keep hearing people talk about them and had no idea what they were. What is Maas?? Like home depot type thing? Not sure what Charlie soap is either but I do have some Crest!!! Guess I will figure it out just don’t want somebody else’s face CUTTING machine cutting my face after theirs ya know?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've always done a good soak in Scrubbing Bubbles, with a little help from a soft toothbrush, to clean up my vintage razor finds. It disinfects and puts a decent shine on 'em.

Great score on the Fat Boy, by the way. Great razor. If you've never used an adjustable, here's my recommendation...

Shave 1 - lock at 3 and do all your passes
    Shave 2 - lock at 4 and do all your passes
    Shave 3 - lock at 5...
    Keep doing this until you've reached the number that is just one more than comfortable. Back it down, lock it and leave it.

Although many folks do like to use a different setting for each pass. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

burnout961 likes this.
  6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

If there were other Fatboys at this store for $3, you could grab them and easily sell them here or on ebay for a nice profit! They make great gifts at Christmas too.

burnout961 likes this.
  7. Hank

Hank Active Member

Thank you for this I never thought of that you learn something new every day !

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

wow nice find!

:happy088

9. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

THat my friend, is a nice Gillette Fat Boy adjustable you've got there. Comet & an old toothbrush would work supurbly. Once you've cleaned it to the point to the point of satisfaction, BOIL IT for a good 20 minutes. THIS will sterilize it. The razor will also FEEL much cleaner as opposed to simply rinsing it of after your cleaning. It also loosens up any remaining vertigree you've got. THEN once it comes out of the pot of boiling water, take it out w. tongs, after about 20 seconds, it should be ok to pick up w. your bare hands. Take a q-tip & go over the various surfaces on the razor & watch the tip closely to see if you're getting any residual grime. You shouldn't be getting much. THe most grime you'll find is going to be the hole where the knob is. If you have a gun cleaning kit, the wire brush tip for cleaning a .22 should do just fine in that area. Then go back in there w. a q-tip & check. You should be good to go at that point.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I wouldn't recommend cleaning a razor with Comet.

11. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

When I restored my Gillette Superspeed, I sprinkled comet in the sink, filled it up & scrubbed w. an old toothbrush. The powder was somewhat dissolved, & provided just enough of an abraisive to be effective. It worked like a champ. THEN, I just boiled it & took a q-tip to the razor again. Worked like a champ & I didn't wear away the nickel plating at all.

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Huh...never thought about using my gun cleaning brushes. Cool idea.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Various steps I take depending on the condition of the razor and the functionality of the mechanisms. The steps can be in any order, but I usually start with scrubbing bubbles and end with a barbicide soak.

• always first step - spray it down with scrubbing bubbles and let soak. Not only will this make cleaning easier, it will help disinfect. Repeat after first batch and last batch of scrubbing
    • hot water bath / boil - there are some razors that this is just plain bad for. Do not do this with gold plated razors or plastic razors
    • toothpaste and old tooth brush scrub
    • baking soda mixed with a little water and dish soap and an old tooth brush scrub
    • goop, go-jo, or other waterless hand cleaning solvent, cram it down into the mechanism and handle and let it sit. Rinse out and repeat. This helps free up jammed inner workings if you don't want to strip the entire razor down.
    • ultrasound - I have one and it helps some - but I am not convinced that it saves me much effort.
    • light application of chrome or other safe metal polish - an aggressive polish will strip away all the plating.
    • Always my final step before I will actually use the razor - let the head sit in barbicide or isopropyl alcohol for a while.

burnout961 likes this.
  14. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I grew up eating dirt and grass clippings...

Two rounds of a little baking soda/water mix with an old tooth brush, dip in alcohol and have at it.. But that's just me.

:eek:

15. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

Great ideas guys!!! I hit it w/ a bit of tooth paste and an old tooth brush... then with the scrub and bubs. boiled for about 20 mins. bubs again then tooth paste again. Looking forward to using it tomorrow morning and I will post some pics of the cleaned product! Thank you all very much for your insite!!! From eating dirt :eek: all the way to using house hold cleaning products to steralize:sick007... Guess you can find a way to do anything!!! :happy102

Thanks again!!!!

16. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

+1 Fatties go for $40 and northward in good condition on the 'bay.

17. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

I only used it to clean in that hole where the bottom of the knob is, where a lot of the grime collects. This seems like a problem area & a "hard-to-reach" place. I just use the brush tip I use when cleaning the barrel of my .22. It works like a champ! Leave it to an palmetto-stater, LOL!!!!

18. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Don't forget - after you load a blade and twist those barn doors shut - give that knob that extra 1/4 turn to make sure it is shut and locked.

19. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

WWWWWooooooWWWWWW!!!

Man that thing shave like a champ!!! I started w/ a merkur adj. razor so I knew how that ADJ worked. So w/ this I used a 7 w/ a feather. Smooth and tomorrow I will try the 8! Thanks for all the great info!

20. onotoman

onotoman Member

Some guys use mineral oil to lubricate their razors, but I find that Olive Oil is much better and good for your skin too, so doesn't need ot be wiped off.

A little bit of olive oil once in a while is great for adjustables, makes the mechanism work like clockwork :)