Proraso and alum. Not friend?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DaveTheHeaf, Feb 23, 2014.

1. DaveTheHeaf

DaveTheHeaf New Member

I've recently bought a few items to try out as I'm fairly new. Two of these item don't get on well. After my shave I cold water rinse and apply alum. Let it dry and rinse of, but when I come to apply proraso pre and post sensitive cream. It seems not absorb properly and goes bitty.

Can anyone help with a reason for this? Should I leave out the alum?

Thanks?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You should completely wash off the alum with water, or better yet with Witch Hazel, and dry your face. After that you should apply balms. Alum will tend to layer on the skin and prevent the balm from absorbing.

HolyRollah and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Make sure you rinse your face really good after putting alum on. I made that mistake once and the same thing you described happened to me.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I only used alum once and it was a big boo-boo. Never again.

6. Ryan B

I like alum, but I only use it if I have a nick that won't stop bleeding. But it's not an ideal thing for me to use everyday.

What exactly happened?

7. crackstar

It stung me so badly and my face and neck turned beet-red. :(

8. Ryan B

No good. I only use it for nicks that won't stop. I just apply it to that one spot. But if I use it as a post shave, I get similar results as you.

9. crackstar

Did I suffer................did I suffer...........

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I think this may be your problem. I know it was for me. I suggest you do not let your face with alum applied to it dry.

I suggest you try leaving your face wet for a couple of minutes, and then rinse it off.

Let me know if this helps.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

12. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

No need to leave alum on for more than a minute or so - it does all it's going to do in that time! Tones, disinfects... Leave it on too long and you get results like this:
    image.jpg

aelfred_allspach and Omelmad like this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sorry I've actually never felt the need to use alum, at least not all over my face like a balm...After my shave and rinse I apply a "tiny" bit of Nivea sensitive balm to my face and rub it in, I'll let that air dry while I police up my vanity and brush my teeth, then I apply the AS splash choice of the day...
    The few times I've gotten a nick that needs a little attention, if it's bad enough I'll rub a little stypic pencil(alum) just on it, other than that just rubbing a little spit on it works for me, I heard about just using spit from an Italian barber in a Proraso video..:)

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Good idea for a new product!

Slogan: Spit-in-a-jar, for those stubborn nicks.

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yes, market it as a high-end Italian Spit, and give it a name like "Lugie from Luigi".

Omelmad likes this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

spit from an Italian barber.......
    Too funny

Omelmad likes this.