Proraso cream and brush from walmart.com

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by HUF, Apr 18, 2017.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

Demidog, Bill G, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

The Proraso brush is the Omega 10048, also called here as "the big Omega". I am sure about it, because it's what i bought and before buying it, i googled it. The difference between 48 and 49 should be in the handle. The loft should be the same. The price at Wallmart is very good. I paid 7 EUR for mine, so it's very fair for something imported in the US. Small note: Mine didn't have any funny animal smell since the get go. I didn't even soak it overnight like some suggest. I read that some Omega 48 do stink initially, but less so the Prorasos. There might be getting an extra treatment from Proraso before sold with their brand name, i don't know.

Mine has become softer with use, it's quite enjoyable. There is also a joke i read, that with the Omega 48 you can lather even cement. :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. HUF

HUF Active Member

10048 has higher loft (70 mm instead of 65).

https://www.italianbarber.com/products/omega-10048-100-boar-bristle-shaving-brush
    https://www.italianbarber.com/products/omega-10049-100-boar-bristle-shaving-brush-black
    https://www.italianbarber.com/products/proraso-professional-boar-bristle-brush

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Demidog and Shave Fu like this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

You are right. My Proraso seems to be Omega 49 after all. However, according to this:

https://artedelradersi.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/omega-48-e-49-ode-al-pennello-in-setole-maiale/

Proraso sells under its brand name and with the same name, both Omega 48 and Omega 49 and the only way to know for sure to understand which is which, is to read the code at the bottom of the box (unless you buy from a website that declares the loft characteristics).

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I got 49 and it's huge all the same. I bought 2 smaller ones later. The 48 and the 49 are identical if it wasn't for the 0,5 cm loft difference. Which is why in the above link they are treated together.

crackstar likes this.
  5. HUF

HUF Active Member

I tried another Omega with loft similar to 10048 and it was too big for my face. So, those 5 mm made a difference. I think, at least for me, 10049 is still okay, anything bigger will not work. Another observation: the shiny handles (like Proraso) are more slippery compared to black/white/red ones.

Shave Fu likes this.
  6. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

For me, even the 49 initially felt too big for my face and also the handle felt too big for my palm when bowl lathering. But i am kind of used to it now. I didn't have any slipping problems with the chrome handle. But, i ordered 2 S-Brush 10005 and the size seems more "for normal human beings" to me. I haven't used it, but the dimensions of the S-brush seem better for me. The 49 is here a legend, because preferred by the barbers. Now, why would they want a huge brush, i have no idea, other maybe than speeding up things, to bring in the next customer...

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Great prices on Green. If I didn't have 94 gallons of it already, I'd be tempted. The big Omega's are great brushes. There's a great reason to have the big brush. Sometimes a wimpy little softy badger can have a difficult time getting a lather going with some soaps. Break out that big ol' Boar brush and chances are you'll have that soap whipped into shape. It's got great backbone and great leverage.

RyX, wristwatchb and Shave Fu like this.
  8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ah, yes, it's why i think i am a boar man too. I 've also read many of my local users, that they always keep at hand an Omega boar or even Omega synthetics, because they maintain a backbone. And especially the boar Omegas, they say that can eat through the toughest soap like butter, while badgers keep struggling to make a dent. Frankly, i don't think i will ever buy badger, simply because they are so soft and i also don't like how they open up widely on your face. I like a brush with backbone, because it's easier to control and be more precise, plus, having the backbone, it can be used with any kind of cream or soap. I read badgers make lather easier, but, honestly, my Omega 49 makes plenty of lather that can last not just for 3, but 6 passes.

9. HUF

HUF Active Member

The only badger I have is the little 11047. It is actually badger/boar. I wish it were only boar since badger makes it pricklish. I do not think I'll buy any badger. I dwill consider Razorock synthetic at some point.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got two Omegas. A 10098 Boar and a 6212 Silvertip. As has been said, the big Boar is great with soaps. I have noticed however it can have a problem with the smaller mouth containers(Cella, Catie's Bubbles and Regiment Shaving). Not to fear however, that's where JR#161 comes into play. It does great with the small mouths.
    And yes, the Silvertip does great work with creams. The face feel is very nice.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is pretty good.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I currently have four badgers in rotation. The two Vulfix (660 & 2235) are quite floppy. I only use them for creams, and they need a paint brush style application to spread lather. The other two follow the style suggested to me by Jared @PickledNorthern. The loft needs to be no more than twice the diameter of the knot. Granted they are not production line, over the counter brushes and the knots were purchased as separate from the handles. A Virginia Sheng Black Pure badger knot, & a Whipped Dog High Mountain badger knot. Both have the more densely packed bristles set deeper so it holds the whole brush together better. Been a while since I broke in either of my Omegas, a 10098, and a 20248. While the Omega boars are taller lofted they've softened up to be much like the two better badgers.
    That brush is coming up at $19.00 for me, was it "on sale"?

crackstar likes this.